View Single Post
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
Curious: Old Rolls-Royces?

Hey all -- I want to preface this by saying that I have no intention of seeking out or buying an old Rolls-Royce, I'm just posting this out of curiosity and my own edification. I'm relatively clueless when it comes to this particular corner of the automotive world.

I've noticed that, here and there, you often see nice "old" (late 70s/early 80s) era Rolls-Royces for sale relatively cheaply (under 20 grand), compared to what they cost new. We all know how freaking expensive they are, and unique, and hand-build, and how expensive the used parts probably are...

Part of me thinks, "hey, that could be a cool old car for Sunday drives with the family!" So here's the question: why are old ones so cheap? Are they just in the "desirability trough" right now? New ones are ridiculously expensive, and REALLY old ones are ridiculously expensive, but those 70s/80s ones seem pretty affordable.

And here's the inevitable follow-up question: are they so cheap because maintaining one would be a nightmare? They are more-or-less known for their build quality, right? Would it be prohibitively expensive to keep and maintain one due to the price of parts and the unique mechanical expertise needed?

Again, I'm just curious.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 04-22-2018, 04:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)