View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randoman1 View Post
Thanks so much for all the advice so far and getting closer to the real reason I can't quit smoking but I really want to. It's a stock 1986 with the addition of a K27-7200 and 1 bar spring with 64K miles and runs great & strong. Oil level reads low until it warms up then reads just above the low fill mark. After about ten minutes of idling an unbelievable cloud of smoke appears. Finding lots of oil in the air cleaner hosing, air intake to turbo, air supply to IC and IC, the conclusion is it's coming in through one of the vent lines into the air cleaner housing. Disconnecting the vent line from the turbo oil separator tank and connecting to a clear hose suspended vertically, it begins to fill with oil. This suggests ether the scavenge pump is not keeping up or it needs a restrictor plate on the oil supply line. I removed the scavenge pump for inspection, no wear and looks to be in new condition. Checked the supply and return lines for blockage, all clear.
I could go with an electric scavenge pump but don't want to. It should work without requiring that. Oil supply restrictor plate? What size orifice? Not much smoke on start up but running around the neighborhood still smoking but nothing like at idle for 10 minutes. The turbo only has 10K miles. It was sent to Mikes turbo in FL, after their inspection, it showed no wear. Also no oil in exhaust manifold from engine. I really want to quit smoking this time for good, help!
Hi randoman1,

I was having the same issue after numerous rebuilds of my k27.
I would suggest if the up pipe from the turbo is filling with oil and the exhaust side is dry it maybe as mine was and it was the compressor side leaking.

Here is a pic , and I also had oil in the IC and air filter housing. Be it a large amount.

Should you want a clip on testing the scavenge pump there is a few on YouTube or I can post one.

Steve.

Old 04-22-2018, 11:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)