View Single Post
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The cams tend to wear heavily in Type IV motors; you usually need a new cam and lifters.

If the smoking is out the tailpipe, you can probably get away with doing a "top end" rebuild--for a while. The fresh valve job (cut on seats and valves) will help restore full power as well, though that can sometimes be hard on the old bottom end...

It usually makes sense just to tear the whole thing down. Follow the Wilson book--it's pretty good as far as I can tell, though it is confusing in one or two spots. (Notably the cam/crank gear timing. It's easy to mix up the Type I/II/III with the Type IV instructions in that section, but they are different.)

Crank and rods will probably need some machine work, but in general are reuseable. Pistons and cylinders often are but also can easily be out of spec. Cam and lifters generally need replacing, gaskets and bearings are always replaced...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-20-2003, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)