View Single Post

Bottoming out in hard compression turns

Id like to know what the best way(s) to keep our cars from bottoming out in hard compression like Turn 6 at Laguna Seca (and Turn 8a for that matter). From what I can tell, my car never really hits or at least rides on bump stops under normal turning loads. A quick review of the forums turns up a lot of discussion of cutting bump stops to avoid suspension travel limitations on lowered cars and preventing unexpected oversteer, which I get. But I dont seem to be having that problem.

86 Carrera wide body with 23/31 Tbars, bilsteins valved to match, polybronze bushed, 16 wheels and the car is ~ 2950 with me in it. Its lowered, but not drastically. The rear is ~ 24 when I am in the car.

The car is reasonably stiff but Ive been in stiffer front engine cars that consistently hit and or ride on the bump stops (racing bump stops ala Fatcat motorsports). But I checked the travel with the car in the air using a jack under the TA and its incredible how high up in the wheel well it will go.

Besides the wincing that comes scraping the bottom, Ive actually gotten some damage the already reinforced ARB console failed and I have some damage to the paint on the wheel well. Sigh

So the questions are:
Are any of you limiting travel with bump stops? If so do you ever have undesirable oversteer as a result (re: all the trimming bump stop discussions)?
Is the car just too soft?
Any other ideas?

Id like to get this issue sorted properly (and soon) before my next two events, which are both at LS. I appreciate your collective input! Thanks.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)