Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > 101 Projects Discussion Forum: BMW 3-Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oil for LSD

I have a 25% slippy in my M325. Any one have some good oil preferences for me?

Please note, it spends quite a bit of time in the 'limited' position, if you get my drift..
Old 04-29-2003, 07:15 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

I would run either Swepco or Redline. I put Swepco in my diff and it seemed to make the diff run more quiet than before.

an M325 huh? not many of those around. I've never seen one in the US. Is it true that the M325 is essentially an 325 with the M-Technic body and running gear?
Old 04-30-2003, 08:40 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Jarrod.

Yes, you're nearly there with the specs. Have a peek at some of my last discussions on this board and you will see the full specs.

Is your diff an LSD? I believe they require a specific type. Mind you, i have some swepco laying around. Which grade would you use?

Sadly though, my 325 days are over for a while. I'll probably buy another (but more likely an E30 M3 4 banger this time)

As it is, I've found a nice example of its competition- a 1 owner Mercedes 190 Cosworth, and couldn't resist buying.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:07 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

Why is it that brits, kiwi's and aussies get to have the truly cool cars? A Merc 190 Cosworth? Man, I wish we got those over here in the states. I've always wanted to get a hold of one of those along with a Lotus Cortina and an Elise. I've heard that they finally are going to bring the Elise in next year, but after federalization and smog equipment, it may not be as fun. I also wish I could have like a Fiat Panda 750 to put about in. Especially with the way gas prices are right now.

As for the swepco, I would check in your manual for the grade you should use. I'm not sure how the climate is in Auckland right now, (coming up on winter, right?) but it can be a factor in the oil. I would run the Swepco for sure.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:32 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yeah, (sigh) coming up to winter. It doesn't get too cold over here, but hey, I'm a summer kind of guy, so any little bit is bad enough.

Well I still have my beema and my new Merc. They are basically chalk & cheese. The BMW scores higher in torque, ease of drivability and hooliganism. I'd still say it's the most fun I've had in a car.

The Merc is altogether different. Beautifully built, specified and it's always interesting to pick out all the design details. You have to rev the nuts off it to get it to take off, and the 4 cylinder isn't as smooth as the BMW's wonderful six. But it will rev to over 7500, so you don't run out of steam very easily.
It doesn't feel as fast as the BMW from the seat of the pants, but the 0-60 times tell otherwise; they are reasonably equal. At high speed the Merc wins hands down, feeling like a block of billet on a mission to the horizon.

Where the Merc Cosworth excells is the roadholding and brakes. At first I was unimpressed, as the BMW can hang it's tail out on the throttle and is bags of fun. The Merc just sticks like glue, and I just can't get it to loose traction so far. This is proving to be bloody good fun too, as it just goes and goes.

And stops, like the hand of god is halting its progress, and he sure don't tire easily.

What can I say? Both are good fun ultimately, and that's what it's all about. Aside from collectability, but that's a whole different, subjective kettle of fish altogether. And this is a BMW forum
Old 05-18-2003, 05:59 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hey Jarod:

You can get the Mercedes Cosworth, its the rare (but now very affordable) 190 2.5/16 had the cool cosworth head and a 5 spd
trans! lots of fun and can be yours for about 325 money.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:55 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
Old 05-19-2003, 07:55 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: