Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > 101 Projects Discussion Forum: BMW 3-Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Wayne, Jared, Dave, Eli, & Javier.........Help Please.

I’m contemplating the purchase of the European M3 intake snorkel, which is a BMW factory replacement part. From what I understand, no instructions are included when the part is purchased. I was wondering if you gentlemen know of a tech article anywhere that details the installation of this? If not, is there some other source that I can tap into that would give diagrams & tips on how this install can be achieved in the most effective way. For the background on this topic/part, see the bottom of page 1 in the thread entitled “Which 3 Series To Buy”. Thanks guys.

European M3 intake snorkel
Increasing the airflow volume to the engine is one of the key improvements for top speed performance. The Euro intake snorkel replaces the original intake duct, which fits in front of your factory air filter box. The unit permits additional cool air from the left lower brake cooling duct to enter the engine air intake. Cooler air is more dense and permits a higher volume of air to enter the engine’s combustion chamber. This modification in conjunction with a K&N replacement panel filter will increase flow capacity by up to 40%. These units are direct replacements. Intake hole must be drilled into plastic brake duct.

Sport Package, Short Arm Intake with ABS Molded Heat Shield, Custom Mounted Front Strut Bar, Elevated Clutch Stop, Polished Aluminum Roundel Shifter, AC Schnitzer Aluminum Pedal Set, Chrome Instrument Cluster Rings & Carbon Fiber Bezel, Crystal Clear Corners, OEM Clear Tail & Side Lights, Scalloped Headlight Trim, Custom 'is' Grill Badge, Alpine C43 Stereo Upgrade, Front Bumper Filler

Last edited by supertack; 05-01-2003 at 04:10 AM..
Old 05-01-2003, 04:00 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

Give me a call. I'll go over why you DONT need this.

1-888-280-7799 ex. 259
Old 05-01-2003, 07:44 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Sorry, no clue on my part. I mostly try to answer things from "general automotive knowledge", and also from the limited exposure I've had to my mom's 98 328is. (Nice car... Too new and too well-maintaned to have any real problems yet, happily!)

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 05-01-2003, 07:45 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Senior Advisor

I spoke with Jared on this, Give him a call, he'll give give you details and I agree with his findings...

lil' pine tree air freshner....
duct tape rht front arm rest (i'ts falling)
zip tie holding in rear tail light....
hi concentrate windsheild washer fluid...
sticker of Speedy Gonzales..rear bumper...
Old 05-01-2003, 08:09 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

I hope that the phone call cleared everything up.

Cheers
Old 05-01-2003, 03:40 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

What is the whole secret here? Share it with all of us, please.

BIG JAKE,
Old 05-01-2003, 08:40 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

I'm not a fan of these 'cold intake' things either. Dyno tests don't show any improvements...

-Wayne
• 101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 05-02-2003, 12:19 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
BMWME, Jarad stated that this part is more or less a drain for water that inadvertently comes into play with the intake duct. He also said that holes needed to be drilled into the metal bottom of the car. What confuses me, is that BMP sells it as a direct forced air intake for the 3 series, and it is a factory BMW part for the M3. What's more, KINGNINE's (who actually installed it) comments seem to be in direct conflict with that. I dunno, this whole intake dilemma is starting to make me dizzy.

Sport Package, Short Arm Intake with ABS Molded Heat Shield, Custom Mounted Front Strut Bar, Elevated Clutch Stop, Polished Aluminum Roundel Shifter, AC Schnitzer Aluminum Pedal Set, Chrome Instrument Cluster Rings & Carbon Fiber Bezel, Crystal Clear Corners, OEM Clear Tail & Side Lights, Scalloped Headlight Trim, Custom 'is' Grill Badge, Alpine C43 Stereo Upgrade, Front Bumper Filler
Old 05-02-2003, 03:15 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

Supertack,

unless you are racing your car, or driving at sustained high speed, you dont need a cold air intake.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:44 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Why, are you sayin that a CAI doesn't increase performance & HP over the conventional stock air box? Why would you need to be driving at sustained high speed for it to become effective. I guess I don't understand why so many people put them on & BMW guru’s like Conforti have spent time perfecting them. Don't get me wrong, I respect the opinion, I just don't understand the contrast in the thought process.

Old 05-02-2003, 10:17 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

Supertack,

there has been a lot of debate over this over the years. Persnoally i believe it depends on the application and how the airbox is constructed. What i am saying is that the factory piece above wont do much for you, however if you do your homework and read about volumetric efficiency, you should be able to come up with a solution that can "possibly" increase your HP.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:22 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Wink

I agree with you supertrac! All this aftermarket crap really can make one dizzy and one can easily loose sleep over what crap does what and whether it is usefull or useless, good or harmfull to your ultimate driving machine.
That is why I strictly told myself to stick only with original stuff. And, yes, if you really want more power than I believe you should get an M3, or otherwise unknowingly to yourself you might spend the same money for all those sharks, barbarians, dinans and other crap on your 328 and still you will be far away from M3 performance!
Old 05-02-2003, 01:32 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts
I'm not a fan of these 'cold intake' things either. Dyno tests don't show any improvements...

-Wayne
I dunno, I've seen too many dynos from customers who have no affiliation whatsoever with the aftermarket companies to see that there IS an improvement, just not as high as they claim.

Here's an M3 thats been sharked and with the PAR cold air intake system. The squiggly lines are there because he didn't even drive the car right after he installed the stuff, so the engine probably wasnt use to it yet?? Something like that? I heard it takes several hundred miles to break in the "sharking" and whatnot. Anyways, you can see a definite increase in HP with each upgrade.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:48 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Look, Im not complainin about the power I get outta my 328is. I had a Volvo intercooler turbo before this, & a Prelude SI before that, so to me, this is the lap of luxury. I just love tinkerin with stuff, & I really love puttin time into something that makes me hard. But I do get kinda bumbed when some guy in a '92 325is can blow past my '97 328is because he's upgraded to M3 cams, made software modifications up the ass, & has a killer intake system. I feel like, if he can do that to a car 5 years older with a smaller engine, what can I do?

Old 05-02-2003, 04:03 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

The OBDII cars are just not that receptive to modification. Its a LOT harder to mod them simply because of the emissions stuff. You cannot expect the same amount of power increase from being sharked as a 1992-1995 325 would get from being chipped.

There are many people who thus prefer the 1995 M3 over later models. Its just so much easier to modify. For those who are really into modification, they then convert from OBDII to OBDI if their car was built after 1995.

What can you do? I think that the 325 that blew by you had to have been modded up the wazoo to do that. The 328 is no slouch, it takes a lot for a 325 to come close to keeping up. If you want some low budget mods, go with the following

1. Cold Air Intake (as you already have been asking about) - not only does it sound and look better, you WILL feel a difference.
2. Fan delete - you can remove some fan, i forgot which one that eats up horsepower. You don't GAIN anything, you just free up around 4-6 rwhp. For more info and where to buy a complete kit from a good guy, go to www.understeer.com

Those are great bang for the buck mods. Basically, I've come to realize that these cars just arent that quick. There's just too many cars out there that'll stomp us. Even the M3 will get its butt handed to itself these days with all the WRXs and EVOs out there. I'm on a mission to make myself as fun as possible, thus I'm throwing in a short shifter soon to couple my clutch stop.
Oh wait...it's a stock M3
Old 05-02-2003, 06:00 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to nah325i
Hey stup. many 325s are a little quicker than the 328s. They were geared lower. (i'm not talking about "blowing away" but rather a good race with a slight edge going to the lighter, lower geared 325)-- sorry for the off topic post
Old 05-04-2003, 11:07 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

CAI are there for a reason on Euro M3's. It all come down to volumetric efficiency, colder Air is more dense, therefore you get more fuel at the correct F/A ratio into the engine. All this means more hp. The comment about the pipe to the Brake Air duct being to drain away water is correct, Air is picked up from the left side between the radiator and headlamps. so in rain, water spray that is picked up is drained away.

Putting on a snorkel type filter, eg K&N, is ludicruos, it might breath a little better than a stock Air Filter, but uless you draw in cold Air, it is pointless, the hot Air from the engine bay actually reduces hp, great when the engine is cold, helps the fuel to atomise and the engine will run smoother while it is warming up, but that is the only benefit.

Cold Air intake, good for any fuel burning engine, go ahead and fit it, if nothing else, it will make a difference in fuel economy, wouldn't be surprised if you felt the difference in the seat of you're pants too!
Old 06-03-2003, 07:19 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

Agreed,

You need to enclose the filter and seal it off from the hot air.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:43 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Totally agree with all the statments. ECIS intake with a heatshield to make sure the intake doesnt absorb the heat from the engine, tested a difference of around 80 degree F between the air absorbed from the area around the intake and the temp of the engine bay. Supposedly, isn't it for every 10 degrees cooler, you gain 1 hp?? I've heard that addage from porsche owners before.
Oh wait...it's a stock M3
Old 06-03-2003, 01:02 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

That is correct Stupenal

For every 10 Degrees, you gain 1 horsepower
Old 06-03-2003, 01:03 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: