Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > 101 Projects Discussion Forum: BMW 3-Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Angry AC problem....hot in AZ..95 M3

has anyone out there had this problem? any E36 I think (my car1995 E36 M3) It only happens when stopped at a light. AC blows hot air at idle while stopped even when idle is increased to high rpm in neutral. Then when light changes and speed is increased it gets cold again???....electrical?...please help! I'm losing weight while waiting for the light to change!!!... ....any help would be great! THXS!

Last edited by newbeeem3; 05-02-2003 at 04:13 PM..
Old 05-02-2003, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It's very likely either your electric fan is defective, or your clutch fan is defective reducing the air flow over the condensor. The electric fan should be running whenever the compressor is engaged.

Get it fixed as head pressures will skyrocket when you idle w/ low air flow. This will reduce life of compressor and system components.

Let us know which was problem.

Good Luck
Old 05-03-2003, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
thanks! I'll check it out right away. electric fan operation should be easy to check but any help on how to check a clutch fan would be appreciated!
Old 05-03-2003, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

When engine is cold sping the clutch fan by hand. It should spin w/ some resistance and not much rotation.

Start the engine and watch the clutch fan (w/o AC). It should initially spin slowly. You can take a piece of stiff cardboard and stop the fan blade by pressing against the blades lightly. As the engine warms near operating temp, you should "hear" the clutch engage w/ a slight roar as the fan comes up to engine speed and noticably more air is pulled through the fan. If fan never engages, then a new clutch is needed.

good luck
Old 05-04-2003, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for all your help! I will check it out and hopefully it will be the fan and not something more costly! Nothing major has gone wrong with either of my BMW's at 122k and 115k miles, knock on wood.... these are great cars!!!
thanks again!
Old 05-04-2003, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Good Luck and let us know what you find!

regards
Old 05-04-2003, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: