Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

The new 645 Ci? Interesting. . . .

OK, I know this is an E36 forum but since were all presumably BMW enthusiasts I thought Id report the following close encounter.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to get up close and personal with a new 645Ci. Now I dont want to get off on a rant, but to me it looked like the offspring youd expect if a new 5 Series and a Jaguar XK got drunk and spent a regrettable night together. I personally always felt that the Jag XK since the concept came out of the post-Ford merger looked like a Ford. So in a round about way, I guess the 645Ci has some of that Americas Attempt at Designing a Sexy Sports Car kind of feel to it coupled with what seems to be BMWs new style direction that is evident in the Z4 and the new 5 Series a direction that, IMHO, is veering hopelessly off course from its Bavarian roots.

Maybe if I had the opportunity to spend some quality time with the new 6 Series Id grow to love it, but after my chance meeting, I wasnt impressed. Anyway, thats just my opinion I could be wrong.

David
Old 04-29-2004, 06:19 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

I like everything on it except the front end.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:21 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I don't really like much on it... right down to the electric steering. The car is freakin' huge for how cramped the cabin space is, and correct me if I am wrong, but I think it is pretty heavy too. Plus it's got that I-drive crap on it... and to add to it, I hear it has electric steering, which makes the steering wheel almost numb... no road feel at all. I've heard it likened to driving a simulator. Esthetically, it's... ahh... not bad... kind of cool looking... eh, it's okay. Just like the rest of the world, BMW is changing with the times. Did ya all know BMW just opened a plant in China. Sheesh... a German car made in China... never thought I would see the day that that happened. Of course, never thought they would be making Toyotas in Kentucky.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:32 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage

Of all the new models (7 series, 6 series, 5 series, & 1 series) I guess I like this one best. I would have to take an opposite stance from Jared, in that I like the front end, but am discusted by the back end. Who ever came up with ending the tail lights at the trunk in Acura-esk fashion, should be shot. The more I see the 7 on the road, the better it looks to me, but I just can't get over that abomination of a trunk lid/tail light combo. Now all this goes without having driven any of them. If Blkongry's points about the steering, weight, ect. are true, then the only thing about that car that's a BMW is the frickin' roundel.

Sport Package, Short Arm Intake with ABS Molded Heat Shield, Custom Mounted Front Strut Bar, Elevated Clutch Stop, Polished Aluminum Roundel Shifter, AC Schnitzer Aluminum Pedal Set, Chrome Instrument Cluster Rings & Carbon Fiber Bezel, Crystal Clear Corners, OEM Clear Tail & Side Lights, Scalloped Headlight Trim, Custom 'is' Grill Badge, Alpine C43 Stereo Upgrade, Front Bumper Filler

Last edited by supertack; 04-30-2004 at 03:23 AM..
Old 04-29-2004, 09:10 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
When I was at the Chicago Auto show (months ago) I filled out this little card at the BMW booth which requested a brochure on what ever model you specified. I remember filling one out, but couldn't tell you what box I checked for model specification. So tonight this rather large, thin heavy box arrives at my door with a 3x5 full color mailing label & a pic of the new 6. I open the box to find a letter responding to my request with a limited-edition art portfolio of the new 6. When I say this thing (portfolio) is nice, I'm severely understating it. It's an amazing 12x18 hard cover portfolio, unbound with glossy full color pictures, embossed velum protective sleeves that have more info and pics, & a limited supply of specs & options. it also has a limited edition brochure recessed into the back cover with an attached pull out ribbon to release the brochure. Now, not only did I not request this, I didn't pay for it either. It was something I'd expect them to give you after puttin' a down payment down on the car, not poppin' a business reply mail card in a box. Just goes to show the lengths BMW is going to market this car. Oh yah, the car's still frickin' ugly, so the portfolio will probably wind up as Ebay material.

Sport Package, Short Arm Intake with ABS Molded Heat Shield, Custom Mounted Front Strut Bar, Elevated Clutch Stop, Polished Aluminum Roundel Shifter, AC Schnitzer Aluminum Pedal Set, Chrome Instrument Cluster Rings & Carbon Fiber Bezel, Crystal Clear Corners, OEM Clear Tail & Side Lights, Scalloped Headlight Trim, Custom 'is' Grill Badge, Alpine C43 Stereo Upgrade, Front Bumper Filler
Old 04-30-2004, 01:29 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: