Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > 101 Projects Discussion Forum: BMW 3-Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question Antifreeze drip on timing gear & oil pan

I recently rebuilt the cooling system on my 1993 BMW E36 325i with 70,000 miles on it. I put in a new radiator, new radiator mounts, thermostat housing, thermostat and water pump. The car runs fine with no overheating but I get a very slow dripping of antifreeze onto the timing gear and front of the oil pan and front stabilizer bar. I donít loose much antifreeze maybe the amount in my expansion tank every 3-4 months. It seems only to drip when the engine is cold or maybe it burns off when the engine is hot. Itís hard to see with all the belts and pulleys in the way but it seems to be coming from the area of the water pump which is new. Could this be normal drip-page from the weep hole of the water pump? I couldnít see taking everything apart for such a small leak so I put in some Prestone radiator stop leak with fibrillated Kevlarģ particles. It stopped the leak fine. Will the stop leak do any damage to the cooling system?

Last edited by Saturn822; 06-25-2007 at 12:39 PM..
Old 06-25-2007, 12:25 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Sounds like the water pump or thermostat housing. I dont know about the stop leak causing problems but I would not have used it.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:37 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Old 06-25-2007, 09:37 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: