Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

White smoke and mositure coming out of tail pipe

What I have here is a 1992 I after 06/92 I bought this car back in November.

My first post on this car was about rough/ erratic idle, running rich and stalling with check engine light coming on then off when i would accelerate. BMW told me to replace the em prom so I have replaced the whole dme. Other parts replaced are the o2 sensor, fixed my no air coming out of the defroster, replaced window regulators Window rubber guides, sunroof seal, switches, windshield cowl, warped rims, door panels, struts , shocks, spring and mounts.

Now I have white smoke and moisture coming out of tail pipe like it was spittingdon't have any coolant in oil. No oil in coolant. Started noticing white smoke when i would get on it. Today noticed it when it idle for about 5 minutes. Smell like it is running a little rich still.

So could this be where the coolant leaks into the combustion chamber and comes out the tailpipe as steam? How do i fix or do i throw in the towel and go look for another car. Any help would be appreciated I need to get car inspected so i can drive it legally. Help please!!!!!!!!!!

I live in Houston Texas so if there are any other Houstonains who could help I would be more than happy to repay the debt.

Last edited by Devildog90; 02-19-2008 at 07:25 PM..
Old 02-19-2008, 05:45 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Need some help so im bumping this
Old 02-20-2008, 12:42 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I haven't come up with anything.

I assume this smoke and moisture continues even after the engine is fully warm and has been driven for say, 30 minutes.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:53 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I was looking for some head way to the white smoke but there doesnt seem to be any hits.
A friend of mind is having the same problem.
The smoke seems to start after about 30 plus seconds from starting the engine.
It continues on even after driving it for a while.
As with devildog90 no signs in the engine oil.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:31 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Have you had a compression test done on the vehicle?
Old 03-20-2008, 07:23 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Im with Bill.

Send a message via AIM to jbholland4
I have a 98 328i... its doin the same exact thing. The smoke looks like the same as if the car is in freezing cold weather where all cars do that... but it happens in warm weather... My check engine light is on also and every now and then it will turn off... I think it may have something to do with the Converter, but not positive. From what I recall, I think the Convertor needs to be replaced after 100,000 miles. Not sure if this helps you any or not....
Old 03-23-2008, 10:06 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to SkyladyZ
white smoke

correct me if i am wrong, it sounds like ur engine is near perfect combustion.

During normal combustion of fuel, h2o is always released together with CO etc..

Had that happen to me too after i did a rebuild on my engine. However it only happens after a cold start and while idling, once u start accelerating the car, black smoke starts to come out'
Old 03-26-2008, 10:48 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to PorscheBMW
after all my research in the area, i'd say you have a blow head gasket. go to youtube and search blown head gasket, see if the smoke coming out the back of thire cars looks like yours. also you'll want to know everything from steelseal.com
watch the vid from that site.
-Haven

(why do i keep buying 87s if they are just gonna break on me.)
#1-BMW- 1987 325IS
#2-Porsche- 911 Millennium Edition Cabriolet
#3-BMW- 1987 325E
Old 03-27-2008, 06:11 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

well if he has a blown head gasket, his car would emit either of the following symptoms

1) water/coolant in engine dipstick aka foam
2) car tends to overheat

thats what i would think
Old 03-27-2008, 07:34 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to PorscheBMW
you are correct sky. in most cases this happens. but not in all. some times it just goes one way, oil in coolant OR coolant in oil. most of the time its both, but sometimes its just one. it shouldn't be to expensive to get a local show hook up there pressure gauge to it. and you can buy one for $50
#1-BMW- 1987 325IS
#2-Porsche- 911 Millennium Edition Cabriolet
#3-BMW- 1987 325E
Old 04-01-2008, 09:29 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
If the head gasket were blown, and the car had coolant going into the combustion chambers, the exhaust would smell sweet--like coolant.

Does it?

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-01-2008, 06:10 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Well the thing is that the very first post says that there isn't any coolant in oil.

My best bet would be to send the car for a leakdown test.

As far as i know, e36 headgaskets are pretty tough to blow.
I once had my engine overheat redline 7 times in a row and the headgasket was still fine lOL.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:20 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Ok, Im recently having the same symptons with my 318is but, there is no oil in my coolant, and no coolant in my oil from checking the dipstick, I cant really tell on the dipstick but I've heard it will look sluggish, but it looks its normal light brown. The first to come to mind was a blown head gasket, I did just have an overheating issue from a bad water pump and thermostat and before then wasn't getting white smoke out of tail pipe. Smoke sometimes comes out thick when starting up car at times, but does not do it while driving. Checked underhood for coolant leaks while car was running, didn't have any, but from my assumption the coolant has got to be going somewhere because the coolant reservoir (expansion tank) keeps getting low to the bottom, at first I thought the coolant system wasn't full yet, but it has never taken this long to reach full level after driving a few days and I 've topped it off at least 5 or more times..so its got to be the cause of the white suspicious sweet smelling smoke. Also heater does not blow full heat. It does at times when at highway speeds, but when in park, blows cold air, which of course is from low coolant. I read about coolant getting into the combustion chamber which makes alot of sense for me. Even though the car does not over heat cant this damage your block if not repaired asap???

Last edited by ellisjay2; 05-10-2008 at 10:19 AM..
Old 05-10-2008, 09:25 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
The Man

Send a message via AIM to whosyadadie01
i have the EXACT same problem right now. someone told me to check my spark plugs to see if they are clean or dirty as if the headgasket was bad the plugs would look as if they were steam cleaned but they were still black. i had a buddy of mine do a compression test and i loose a lot of compression as i go from cyl 1 to 6 any ideas?
Old 05-10-2008, 02:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

If you have to add coolant periodically, have a pressure test done on the cooling system. Not all leaks are at the head gasket, intake manifold has cooling lines also. If it is antifreeze, the smell will be sweet and smoke white. If you don't have to add coolant, there may be excess condensation building up in exhaust. This can be caused by many short runs. Hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:33 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

If you are losing water and it is not steaming off in the engine compartment or leaking somewhere in addition to rough running and persistent white smoke odds lean heavily in favor of a head gasket. (i don't think there is water in the intake manifold as someone else suggested).

Another note: antifreeze is heavier than oil and will sink to the bottom of the pan unless it vaporizes of (cause of the dreaded "white/brownish foam in the oil cap". What this means is to check for water in oil you should drain the oil and visually inspect it. White foam or *any* antifreeze/water in the bottom is a sure sign, although not an exclusive sign, you could be burning water into the cylinder without leaking into the oil.

whosyadadie01: while that may be the case sometimes it is not always the case, I was burning a 1/2 gallon a week into one cylinder and the plug looked exactly the same, the cylinder head was a different story though so maybe you could get something down there to inspect them.

Last edited by VoCS75; 05-13-2008 at 09:05 AM..
Old 05-13-2008, 09:03 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

A bmw mechanic told me that when doing a head job you have to have the head machined while its off, but I thought that was true only if the head was cracked or damaged, because if just the head gasket itself is the problem I would just change the gasket and try to do the whole thing myself, attempting to save a few bucks, rather than getting a head repair charge when I dont need one, then he mentioned something about doing the valves too, but does all that really need to be done???
Old 05-13-2008, 03:41 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

There is 2 small throttle body coolant hoses at bottom of intake manifold. It is rare but the composite manifild can leak there.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:27 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisjay2 View Post
A bmw mechanic told me that when doing a head job you have to have the head machined while its off, but I thought that was true only if the head was cracked or damaged, because if just the head gasket itself is the problem I would just change the gasket and try to do the whole thing myself, attempting to save a few bucks, rather than getting a head repair charge when I dont need one, then he mentioned something about doing the valves too, but does all that really need to be done???
Pulling the head is a big job. You should have the head checked (lots of things are done), milled if necessary and the valve seats machined while it is off. The cost for me was $300 and it was worth it. If I have the head off again before 50k I wont remachined it unless the head is off due to a gasket failure.

If your head is off for a gasket failure you absolutely need to have it checked and machined or it will probably fail again.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:20 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Your talking about after you took your head off your self and then took it to get machined for $300????
Old 05-15-2008, 12:51 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: