Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > 101 Projects Discussion Forum: BMW 3-Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

97 328i glove box support

I have just finished replacing the evaporator (not a difficult job, just tedious) and am reasembling the dash.

I was careful when I was taking things apart but have run into a snag involving the glove box support.

At the lower left of the welded bracket where it meets the transmission tunnel there is a gap of about an inch. If I try to bolt the bracket into place it causes all sorts of problems with the passenger SRS and glove box alignment as it causes the glove support assemby to twist.

I am assuming that there is supposed to be some sort of spacer to fill the gap, but dang if I can find one (as I said I am usually very good about this sort of thing)

I have looked at the RealOEM parts diargram, but it does not show a spacer.

Can anyone help me with a part number of a picture?

Thanks.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:54 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

fixed, space was in my head

Turns out that the glove box support bracket has a third mounting stud that is midway between the right side of the dash and the center console.

I didn't remember taking it out. Probably because I was lying on my back and contorted and in pain.

Anyway, that's how it goes.

If anyone ever needs some advice on how to R&R their evaporator, send me an e-mail and I can probably save you a few hours.

One thing I found out was that you do not need to remove the "fracture bolts" on the steering column as is suggested. Tuns out that there is plently of play and you just need to shove the steel support bracket down and to the side.

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:54 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Sounds like a big job. Glad you got it worked out.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:54 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Old 05-21-2008, 01:54 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: