Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > 101 Projects Discussion Forum: BMW 3-Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
arsenist5150

BMW Roundel Rear Rotor rubbing

I have a 1993 325is and the rear passenger side rotor is rubbing against the heat shield and the caliper. Initially I thought it was a warped heat shield so I replaced it with one off my 325is parts car and did the same with the rotor and it continued to rub. My thought now is that is must be either the wheel bearing or the hub, they are some how not providing the adequate spacing to keep the rotor from rubbing. I would appreciate any input on this.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Lightbulb

Your right on track...sounds like rear bearing is starting to go and it moving inside of hub or the hub has developed a crack from the bearing moving causing wheel to cant to one side or the other causing your rotor to rub on heat shield.
Replace bearing and check to see condition of hub....don't buy BMW rear bearing tool for 250.00....I'll tell you how to make one for approx $ 3.55 should you decide to do it yourself. It's not real difficult if you have some time to make repair and don't have a problem cursing once an awhile for effect!

Start to finish approx 2-2.5 hrs
Good luck
Bruce:
Old 08-30-2009, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
arsenist5150

If you could show me how to make the bearing tool for $3.55 I will definetely do it my self. The car is up on Jacks dismantled and ready to go. The hub looks good so hopefully the new bearing will do the trick. I was reluctant to change the bearing because it had been replaced about 20k miles ago but at this point I'm ready to go for it.

Thanks Man
Joe
Old 08-31-2009, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

No problem..I'll write up a note and send it along this evening, working on 325e as we speak.

Bruce
Old 09-01-2009, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Well brake lines are going to be a PIA to do without lift so I'm back with your write-up.
First you need to get that big nut off drive axle if you haven't already ( thinned wall socket is a must or buy reg. socket and grind edges untill it fits properly ) There's a clip behind this nut that you have to bend back first, use a screwdriver, and replace with new one when everything goes back together.
After nut and clip are off use a hub puller to separate hub from bearing and drive axle. If I remember right It might be easier to uninstall drive axel torque screws from diff. at this time then use the puller to seperate axel from hub splines.
Go under car and use bearing race intall tool and drive out bearing...might be tough so a big hammer/brass drift do come in handy ( a few swear words are part of the equation too ) Now once the bearing is out, clean out the bearing housing aka trailing arm....apply some grease to housing and outside of new bearing ( oh yeah forgot, before you can take out old bearing there's a big ass circlip holding it in...this has to be removed and when new bearing goes in use new circlip ) next use bearing/race driver to install new bearing, goes in real easy.

Now spend your hard earned 3.55 on a 12" piece of 1/2" threaded rod at Home Depot plus 4 good size fender washers plus 4 1/2" nuts. Two washers and two nuts each side and you have BMW hub install tool! Go back under car with proper size race driver and thread rod through hole..snug this up with 2 fender washers and nuts. To other side and grease inside of bearing and a bit on hub to reinstall, snug this up so its straight....1/2" box wrenches on each side and wal-la, that hub will press right into new bearing like **** through a goose! ( And you just saved 250.00 to boot ) Back under car after celebration and line up splines from axel and inside of hub, tab with rubber mallet to start and then reattach other end to diff. ( Make sure you torque, they do loosen up ) Back to drive axel and install tang clip/ axel nut so when you wrench on it, it will pull axel all the way through. This nut is held on by lotsa ass...forget actual torque number but I'm not looking at bently book right now....that should be it, any questions don't hesitate or if you think it's too much by all means take it somewhere...I had tools available and some time, as for brake lines...I believe it's going to shop and lift!

Bruce:
Old 09-01-2009, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
heat shield , hub , rear end noise , rotor , wheel bearing