Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > 101 Projects Discussion Forum: BMW 3-Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Newbee here...

Hello all,

My name is Carl and i am new to the E36 forum. I recently purchased a 1996 E36 to use as a daily driver. I have a classic 911 that i was using as a daily driver since my daughter took over my old 325is. So I decided to purchase another BMW. The car has 140k miles. It is solid and everything works. There are a couple of things.

1. does anyone have a link to a PDF. Owners Manual? The car didn't have one.

2. The lighting on the instrument cluster are out on the fuel and temp gauge sides. the center lighting for the tach and speedo are working. Can someone direct me to "a how to replace dash gauge lighting?

3. I need to see pics of a fully lit cockpit so I know which controls have lighting and which ones dont.

Thanks in advance for your input

Carl
Old 05-28-2012, 12:48 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I don't have a pdf but I have the manual for a '97 328 if you want me to look anything up or scan selected pages. I also have the audio cassette that came with the manual but as I recall, it doesn't add anything that is not covered in the manual.

This Pelican website sells the bulbs for the instrument cluster and as I recall, has a good pictorial how to explaining how to remove the cluster and replace the bulbs. It is not hard, but be careful with the cluster and with the screws that hold it in. The plugs and the screw holes are fragile.

The most common bulbs to burn out other than the cluster are the one by the light switch (not important, tough to snap in and out) and the ones above the clock and computer display (easy to replace).

It is a little tough to take low light pictures with my shop camera with no flash, but see if you can make these out:

This is the light switch. I replaced this one once. I would not do it again. I was sure I was going to break the dash getting it snapped back in place.

Center console. I should have turned on the radio and the computer. If your radio display goes dark, it is easy to repair. A couple of surface mount resistors beneath the cassette player tend to crack loose with age.

Shifter console (automatic)

Dash cluster. I replaced ALL the bulbs in this while I had it out. The dark spot at the top of the speedometer must be common. Both my e36s have it. I have read a theory about what causes it but I don't know for sure.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:54 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Manolito,

Thank you, this is a big help. I appreciate you prompt and detailed response.

cheers,

Carl
Old 05-29-2012, 10:16 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Noob Info

I have found the Bentley Manual and Wayne's 101 Projects... to be great sources. Quite often, I use the pics in Wayne's book, and portions of his projects instructions to supplement the Bentley, and that is extremely helpful also. The best money you will spend will be on these two books. They have literally saved me $ thousands! I recently acquired an E46 for my daily driver, and bought the Bentley for that too, already saving easily 10X its price. Now if Wayne would just write a projects book for the E46...
Old 05-29-2012, 06:18 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hello wgarrjr,

i have the Bentley Manual. I was able to find the complete Bentley Service manual for the 328i in free .pdf format. got lucky in finding that one.

I always obtain the Bentley Manuay if available for all my vehicles. I do have Wayne's 101 projects for 911 porsche. I'll have to take a look at the one for the 328i.

thanks for responding.
Carl
Old 05-30-2012, 10:30 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Where do I find this pdf 328is service manual?
Old 05-30-2012, 06:15 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

jIMBOB,

I thought I had responded but I'll try to find the link again and post it when i do.

Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob1421 View Post
Where do I find this pdf 328is service manual?
Old 05-31-2012, 01:54 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The document is on MediaFire
But I doubt that it is legal to download it so proceed at your own risk.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:08 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolito View Post
The document is on MediaFire
But I doubt that it is legal to download it so proceed at your own risk.
It worked. I have the whole Bentley Service Manual for the 328i E36 models 1992 through 1998 saved in my PDF.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:53 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Old 06-03-2012, 08:53 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: