Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > 101 Projects Discussion Forum: BMW 3-Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1997 328i Clutch - grinding noise

I just replaced the clutch disc along with the pressure plate, release bearing and pilot bearing. I have done this a couple of times before on this car without and problems.

This time, after installation I pressed the clutch pedal and nothing happened, it when straight to the floor. I tried bleeding the slave cylinder, but it didn't have any effect, the pedal would still drop straight to the floor. I removed the slave cylinder, but left it attached to the hose and pressed the actuator rod on the cylinder, it went in it as if it was expelling air/fluid and then came back out again and was rigid. I re-installed the cylinder and the now the clutch pedal was firm.

So far, so good, or so I thought.

The problem is now that if I depress the clutch pedal, the amount of travel before engagement seems excessive and also if I press the pedal all the way to the floor I get a grinding sound.

I am pretty sure that all of the clutch components were installed correctly and as long as I don't press the pedal all the way to the floor, the transmission shifts without a problem and there is no grind noise. Still, something doesn't seem right.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Jack
Old 06-06-2012, 07:40 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Funny, I was just messing with my slave cylinder yesterday and pressed on the clutch pedal. I shot the push rod from my slave cylinder across the garage. - Lesson learned.

Have you considered the master cylinder? It might explain the pedal travel, but not the noise.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:25 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Old 06-07-2012, 02:25 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: