Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > 101 Projects Discussion Forum: BMW 3-Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
M20 front oil seals replacement

Hi, first post and question.

I am replacing timing belt on '89 325i, all going well with this project.

While I am at it, I would like to replace front crankshaft oil seal, and intermediate shaft oil seal, which are both leaking. I know they are housed in the lower front cover plate, and that all the crank shaft pulleys & bolts, and intermediate shaft bolt must be removed, and then the crankshaft and intermediate shaft timing belt sprockets removed, before the lower cover can be removed.

Question is......what kind or brand of puller, or tool(s) will fit down around the two sprockets to pull them off/out?

Seems the cover surrounds these so tightly that getting a puller or tool on them will be difficult! Help!

Allred
Utah, USA

www.allredsmotorsport.com
Old 09-10-2012, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Well, I answered my own question, and solved my problem. A steering wheel puller kit I purchased some years ago from Harbor Freight Co. was just the right size, and had the correct bolts to attach to the crankshaft timing belt sprocket.

Still it was not easy! A water leak from the thermostat housing above, had allowed enough water seepage such that the sprocket had become rusted-on to the crankshaft nose.

It took lots of Kroil penetrating oil, and a two-foot extension on the end of the wrench, and probably 30 or more turns on the puller before it was enough to move the sprocket off the crankshaft!

Here is a photo of the corroded crankshaft nose and intermediate shaft collar. A little water in the wrong place is a bad thing!

www.allredsmotorsport.com
Old 09-13-2012, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: