Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > 101 Projects Discussion Forum: BMW 3-Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Building a e36 chump car

Hi, Im new to the BMW side of Pelican, been on the Porsche side for a long time.

I picked up a 94 325 is ( what ths heck does 'is' mean? ) S for sport suspension right? Coupe, manual trans.

The rules for Chumpcar say that this car needs to remain stock. I can replace bushings with new oem stuff and same for suspension. I was looking at some of the parts ( suspension kits ) on pelican.

Being that I dont know anything about BMW. Im looking to this forum to make some suggestions as to what you would do for a e36 chump car. I know all about doing the maintenance as I built a Eagle Talon for chump car ( which I still have but I might turn it into a rally cross car since its AWD ).

Tricks, secrets, know problems. What parts would be considered 'stock' that I could upgrade to from what I have.

If you have any advice for this build let me know. Im not the best mechanic in the world but I do track a few cars. This should be a easy build, cage, electrical cut off, seat and then maintenance like replacing worn bushings, etc.

There is a spare motor and trans from a 1992 525 car available locally. I have to research it to see if its a direct swap as Im hoping they are the same parts. Can anyone confirm?

Last edited by aftermath; 02-19-2013 at 06:37 AM..
Old 02-19-2013, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Got the options from the dealer.

s214a Stability Control - does this man also abs? good news
s704a m sports suspension - good news
nothing about lsd so Im guessing I didn't get that option with this car
s818a battery master switch - whats that?
sun roof - not great for a track car

the rest of the options wont affect the track car, but give me parts to sell one day.
Was the m3 brakes a option for this car or did that only come with a m series?
Old 02-19-2013, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
#29 SCWDP (muhaahhh!!)

the "i" means fuel injected the "s" means sport (2dr vs 4dr).
Doubtful the swap from a 525 will easily go into a 325.
92 325is
Now living in Sunny West Palm Beach FL!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
aftermath- did you get this build started/finished? Chumpcar looks great and I wanted to see if this project hit the track yet -
thanks!
Old 04-08-2013, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Nope , Ive aquired 2 more 325's and Im picking up a rollover one this weekend. Im still planning, Ive made a huge list of brake\suspension\gasket\wheels\tires of stuff I need.

I have a Eagle Talon I built for Chump Car and its got lots of life ( and parts ) left in it so I will track that this year.

The car will be 2014 before it sees the track. Im finishing the small block into a 930 projects thats been lingering. The 944 has a new suspension and body kit that need to be installed.

I learnt from my other projects, is plan them out better, gather all the parts ( as best you can ) and most importantly focus on one project at a time ! My other thing Im working on is shipping,etc. Did you know the same part in Canada is usually about triple in the US? I know the bearings I needed for the 944 were but I didnt have time to wait for shipping. Since Pelican will ship free in the US and not to Canada I have arranged a place in Vegas to ship all my parts to and Im planning a road trip\holiday. What I save on air fair covers fuel and then I can cart a truck load of stuff home.

Pic of the 2nd 2 door car. The 4 doorautomatic needs a head gasket ( hopefully thats all ). The rollover is for the driveline. So the automatic will be fixed and flipped for a profit. The first 2 door I got is too nice and Im going to turn it into a daily driver ( once I fix the window issue ). I have the biggest parts list I have evern made by far sitting on my desk, and I know its growing.

I have some bits for the 930 I still need to order to finish it. So Im working harder than ever on planning. Im probably $3000 in shipping costs in the last several years for odering bits here and there.

Last edited by aftermath; 04-09-2013 at 06:49 AM..
Old 04-08-2013, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Sounds good! You've got some projects planned - post pics to this thread when you can so we can see the progress.

Always interested!

Mark/Pelican Parts
Old 04-09-2013, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
4th car ( rolled ) is in the trailer. Got some projects in front of me before I can tackle more on the new chump car.

The blue one has 25% differential lock, the black one has a sport suspension, and traction control in addition to abs. The green one is automatic ( bad head ) and the rolled one only has the drive train that can be salvaged ( ecu and wire harness also )
Old 04-22-2013, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Looks like you're getting things lined-up for the build down the road. Looking forward to it!
Old 04-25-2013, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage

Well I wanted to finish my 930, but because of lack of space for cars its shoved to the side again. I rolled the 'rolled' car into the garage. Its pretty much gutted on the inside and there are no body panels to save. I was supposed to get the doors ( minus the locks ) and now the seller isn't responding to text\phone or emails. I needed the window regulator and might have to pay the guy a visit next time in that city.

The engine fan, air box are gone along with rad but it looks like most of the engine is there minus the alternator. Im thinking I want to at least try a compression test on a cold engine to get some numbers. This will be my spare motor\trans\diff but it would be good to know a bit more. 170,000km its supposed to have, but who knows the gauge cluster was removed. The suspension is bent on 2 corners for sure so I don't think I am going to salvage any of that either, however I need springs I can cut for chump car, spare shocks, spare hubs, ecu, wire harness, etc. The blue car has a busted driveshaft, maybe I will just drop this motor\trans into that car to test after I look at that engine more. Not really sure on the order of how Im going to do things with 4 cars at my disposal or how Im going to deal with this wrecked one to get the most out of it.

Just more crap I have to do that I don't count as all that much fun...Kids like the dismantling part however.

Last edited by aftermath; 04-27-2013 at 10:02 AM..
Old 04-27-2013, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Well it starts, but my compression tester isn't working. I spent some time tossing all the garbage and cleaning up most of the glass. Now I doubt there is anything worth saving aside from what Im keeping. Is there a market for little bits ? Im thinking some rubber door trim, some wire harness stuff, dash, rear belts, etc. Probably not worth my time to pull that stuff out. For the older porsches its worth it but what about a e36? Remember stuff it triple the price up here in Canada for car parts.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
The parts car is dismantled and will be at the scrap yard next weekend. Hoping to get $80 for the scrap metal. The 94 325is ( black ) passed the insurance inspection and Im driving it a bit. I must say that its a really nice car to drive. It has the sport suspension option and I sure feel like a old fart climbing out of the seat as it fairly low. Still waiting for my window regulator so I can fix the window, until then its mostly under a cover or I would drive it more.

Cant believe it took me a month to dismantle a car, well kids and yard work and wife get in the way dont they....No need to post a picture of a pile of parts ( including wire harness ).

Whats next? I think fixing the autocross 944 ( I missed a shift and blew the head is my guess ) and the 325I with a bad head gasket ( hopefully only gasket ). Once those two are fixed and other life distractions the 325is ( blue ) will get the driveline fixed and I will register\insure that one also. Im afraid to bring a car across the boarder for a race if I dont have real registration paperwork, but its a shame to pay to register and temporarily insure a car thats becoming a race car.

I have a long list of parts to order. I just have to figure out whats the best suspension thats in the BMW rules for chump car. For example I just grabbed some e46 calipers and rotors, illegal ( as of now ) for chump car. But I can put them on the black car and then that gives me spare e36 calipers. Since Im not a BMW guy the learning curve is going to be steep, but Im working on that parts list pretty much all the time. Whats really holding me up is there will be a significant change to chump car rules in Sept and that might affect which parts I can choose. So the maintenance list will be be developed and I will know what suspension options are available and I probably wont pull the trigger on a massive order until the new rules come out.

FYI Chump car rule explanation: The car needs to have a average internet value of $500 or under. So you basically have to be able to buy a running car for $500 to start. Then you modify it and clean it up. The e36 is not allowed to be modified currently in chump car, stock as in stock and no weight reduction or aero. The other cars dont have to follow this set of criteria, but the e36 was doing very well and had some restrictions slapped on it. Next year each car will have a preassigned value and then value added for parts\mods. The list will allow one to choose if a part would be worth it. A example is you can upgrade brakes to 2 times the cost of oem parts. That would allow me e46 brakes on a e36 but the e36 thats not allowed this year. You can modify control arms ( to get camber ) but thats not allowed on a e36 this year. I believe the car is really going to do well when the restrictions are lifted. Being that newer mustangs, Saab's, Eclipse 3000, MR2, 300Z are in the series I cant see that the continue to cripple the rules for a e36 much longer.

Last edited by aftermath; 06-07-2013 at 11:03 AM..
Old 06-07-2013, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Sounds like progress! There are a couple of folks running these cars in Chump now I believe - Red Line Oil campaigns a car, E36 maybe?

Mark/Pelican Parts
Old 06-10-2013, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Red Line and Bimmerworld have combined for a car. There are many e30 and e36 cars running in Chump car. Even some with 318's but mostly 325. It handles well out of the box, is a easy\forgiving car for the novice driver, is very fast in capable hands and has decent power for the series and I think the car has the range to meet the fuel windows. I have been watching many videos of chump car teams as they post. The e36 is not the fastest car on the straights, but its a very competitive car in the series. Its doing so well that its been crippled in the rule book compared to other cars. Im really stuck on choosing parts until the Sept rules come out. However lots can be done in preparation. I just need more time in the day and I have other projects. I found some more parts locally from a e36 enthousiast who has moved to the e46. Stuff not legal for chump car but I can put those parts on my sport suspension car and then move the sport suspension parts to the car thats becomeing the track car, that pile of parts I believe has a race seat and mounts so I will be making a trip. Maybe Ive found a BMW driver for the car also with this guy ! Depending on the length of a chump race you usually need 4 drivers. But 3 can be done for short races and 6 is asked for for the really long races ( think 36 hours ).
Old 06-10-2013, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Don't know if I am moving forward or back-wards.

I finally got the drivers window fixed, it wouldn't program fully up because the latch mechanism is failing to register that the door is closed. That was a good 10 hours to figure that out. But I am thoroughly enjoying driving the 94 325is with sport suspension. Its got a bad wheel bearing that I hear around corners and a slight vibration on the wheel when braking so the rotors are probably warped. I am not turning this one into a chump car, but its staying a daily driver.

I picked up another car yesterday. A 94 325is, poor kid bought it for $2000, got clipped in the bumper on the way home, still had the temporary tag. He stuck it in his garage, partially dismantled it and then he has to move quickly and is desperate to sell. M3 mirrors and bumper, short shifter, coil overs and 17 wheels for $600. The bumper mounts are both damaged, but headlights , hood, etc are still intact. Bent strut, bent tie rod, damaged bumper supports. It could be made road worthy again. Its got cams, chip and the brakes don't look stock either. So I can not use some of those parts for chump car. But The car I am driving has passed the engine\trans test and those parts will either become the parts or primary engine\trans for the chump car. I now have all the spares I need to replace anything driveline or suspension, brake related at the track.

While spares are great I will still be replacing all the suspension parts that wear and some seals and adding in the suspension reinforcement kit.

Still planning the build. The big rule change Sept will affect the build so I still am holding off. I may be able to modify the strut towers for camber , add aero, add e46 brakes, etc after the rule change. Running out of space to store parts !
Old 07-14-2013, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
This is the latest. Its in the shop now to be dismantled. It could be saved and the only damage is the bumper mount is pushed over a bit and the rad is toast.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: