Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > 101 Projects Discussion Forum: BMW 3-Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Electrical problems.

96 328is electrical/brake/interior lights

I need help.
Hey everyone, here's my car info
200+ on chassis
M52 Motor rebuilt at 150k
Was in a frontal collision ( I replaced the whole front clip, all wiring at that point is good.)
This car need some love and I'm willing to do it. I'm also having a cooling issue but thats for another post. Ok here it goes

Every time I step on my brakes (car is off. Key is out) the lights on the head liner turn on and my INDASH would light up and my radio (the radio sounds like it as just plugged in. Has that whining sound)

So I checked the trunk wiring (checked all of them- tore apart my whole trunk) that was a long day. Found that the previous owner wired the actual brake lights together. My guess he had a short somewhere but was to lazy to find it. So.... I caught it just in time. I started to smell something burning. I think I fixed that. We 'll I thought I did.

Well now this. now I turn on the small lights for each seat( lights right in front of the sunroof motor) Not only are they very dimmmmm. But when I turn one on. It's dim. I turn the second one on, They both turn off simultaneously and y7?my cluster and radio turn on (before its was when I step on the brakes, dosent anymore) If I hit the brakes when either light and/or both lights are on they shine bright. My in-dash and radio turn off and those two lights get brighter. So I I'm lost. Need help.

Thx for listening.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2017, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Sounds like some weird electrical stuff is going on. If you don't have this book already I'd highly recommend it to help diagnose these weird electrical issues: The Hack Mechanic Guide to European Automotive Electrical Systems - PelicanParts.com. Maybe it'll help you get track down the cause of these issues. Also, we do have a tech article on our site here: BMW E30/E36 Electical Problem Troubleshooting | 3-Series (1983-1999) | Pelican Parts DIY Maitenance Article that goes over electrical issues that might also help you out if you don't want to purchase that book. Leave a comment at the bottom of the tech article and one of our BMW guru's might also have additional input for you. Good luck.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thx I hope I find this problem soon

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2017, 01:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: