Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > 101 Projects Discussion Forum: BMW 3-Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1992 318iC E30 M42 back fire cold

I have a 92 318iC E30 that idles poorly and backfires/stumbles if revved on startup. As the car warms, the revs will get higher without backfiring/stumbling. Once fully warmed up at operating temperature car runs fine. List of recently replaced related parts: cam and crank sensors, alternator, fuel tank (heavily rusted inside), fuel pump, fuel filter and spark plugs. DME has been tested and is good. However, I have no check engine light on the dash (it works, just no codes). Any suggestions?
Old 08-18-2017, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Gladiator

Location: Near Annaolis Md . along the Severn River in the woods.
Garage
Replace the filter again and bump up the mixture 5 clicks by removing the cover and using a screwdriver advance the pointer / clockwise I think, than replace the cover carefully using clear silicone caulk on the edges to prevent vacume leaks.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand fully, what you are suggesting. You are saying to replace the fuel filter again, then bump up the mixture by removing a cover and turning a screw (I did not realize the M42 engine had mixture adjustment). Then resealing the cover with silicone to prevent vacuum leaks. What cover are you referring to?
Old 08-21-2017, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Anyone have any ideas? Fuel pressure regulator maybe? Regardless, I'm taking the intake manifold off this weekend and replacing the TPS, ICV, FPR, and any poor looking vacuum hoses. I'm really searching at this point trying to figure out what in open loop could be causing this problem. The MAF sensor looks very new so I haven't looked into replacing it yet.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Did find a vacuum leak but still was running poorly, so I replaced the ICV, FPR, and TPS and it runs great now. I did them all because you have to remove the upper manifold to reach them and I figured to do all while I was in there. Wish I knew which one but the crankcase smells heavily of gas. And the fuel return line was dry so I suspect the FPR was clogged and rail pressure was too high and flooding the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2017, 10:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: