Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > 101 Projects Discussion Forum: BMW 3-Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Hugo (guest)

Hello Pelican Staff.
I have a 1998 318i e36 M44 1.9 L. Which happens that the DME or ECU unit got wet. But I did not know until I tried to started but nothing happened. Then I disconnected the battery changed the fuel pump or main relay, and boom! some white smoke came out from the engine wire harness. It was a brown cable. Which is the middle one from the 5 points relay connector the one I replaced. So I replaced that wire with a new one and got a new relay. Try to started and worked but the engine was stalling like losing power. Then I checked and the ignition coil was melting. So I got a new ignition coil and it happened the same. So finally I check the DME ECU unit. And I found some corrosion around. I fixed the component that it wad fried and started and it was running good but once I drove it for like 30 miles the check engine light comes on. I tried to read it with the OBD II but no codes came out. Still running good. Then I drove it for like 60 miles more and when I stopped to get some gas the car did not started again. So I disconnected the battery and checked for the same relay but it was good and the wire that I replaced. I fill it with gas cause I thought it may needed some gas. Then I reconnected the battery and Boom! There was the same white smoke again. So I check the wire that I fixed. Fried again. I have bought another DME unit from a same model, year, make and engine side. 1998 318i e36 M44. Same numbers matching but I don't have reinstalled yet. Can you please help me out? Do I have to recode? Because is equipped with EWS II system. Or could you guys have any idea what it could be? I'll appreciate any ideas o diagnosis at all. Thanks!

Old 10-13-2017, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

A brown wire is a ground. I would check the component it grounds and check if it is internally shorted from the water damage.

- Nick
Old 10-13-2017, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: