Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > 101 Projects Discussion Forum: BMW 3-Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
indye30 (guest)

I have a 1986 325 es that has a surging idle issue that I haven't been unable to solve for months. The car always starts fine whether warm or cold and drives just fine. The idle is just fine when the car is cold; however, once the car gets up to temp after about 5-7 min. or a mile the idle will creep up to 1,000-1,1000 RPM. After another minute or so it will begin to surge from approx. 600-1,100 consistently. When I unplug the 02 sensor the issue generally stops or will happen MUCH less frequently and with a slower cadence but the car will idle at 1,100 RPM. When this occurs, if I pull the dip stick the idle will go down to normal but is a bit rough. I have: swapped the ICM, checked for vacuum leaks and replaced several hoses, checked the voltage on ICV it hums and seems to work fine, checked the idle control switch, swapped out and/or checked all components on intake including the idle switch, replaced the 02 sensor, checked the coolant temperature switch, checked the cold start valve for proper operation, replaced seals on dipstick and oil filler cap, cleaned the throttle plate, adjusted the throttle cable, attempted to set the idle speed on the ICV, and probably a few other things I cant recall. Please help, any suggestions are appreciated!

Old 10-29-2017, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

if you restrict the idle control valve using hose clamp pliers, does the idle settle down? If so, check valve duty cycle, is it steady or changing?

- Nick
Old 10-29-2017, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: