Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > 101 Projects Discussion Forum: BMW 3-Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Gladiator

Location: Near Annaolis Md . along the Severn River in the woods.
Garage
e30 valve adjust

To start with - I have removed the A.C., the viscos fan and the radiator schroud as not needed. If the motor gets hot - and it rarely does - I hit the AC button.

Prepare to spend 2 hours or more - valves must be right and the motor must be sealed back up so no dirt blows in.

With the cover removed and a good drop light handy put a 7/8" / 22mm.? socket on the crank shaft and rotate the crank until the cam is in overlap on # 6 cyl. Than adjust #1. Fireing order plus 2 than the next cyl. from the one in overlap.

Move the valves with your hands to check play than put the .010 to check clearance. If loose put an 11 in there to check / if tight put a 9 in to check to see how far off they are.

I make the 10 very tight but the 11 will not go. Not easy to get it the first time the movement of the adjuster seems very small.

After one lap of the firing order do another and check all work critically - if there is a mistake - take another lap and get all with exactly the same drag on the feeler.

Tighten valve cover per spec and retouque after a few heat cycles.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Thanks for the note Tim - if you don't mind, add it to the Comment section below; as I'm sure that our members will appreciate the added context in the article.

BMW E30 3-Series Valve Adjustment (1983-1991) | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article
Old 10-31-2017, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: