Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > 101 Projects Discussion Forum: BMW 3-Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
911buff

Garage
1991 325iX idle issues

I was reading on another forum to take the oil cap off to see if the idle speed changes. Well, when I remove the oil cap, the engine immediately dies. Is this a leak at the plenum? Or do I have other issues? I have fixed several leaks, so far. And it idles better but is still rough at start up then smooths out as it warms up. Then the idle is at around 1100 rpm. I have to replace the idle adjustment screw, it has no head. So, I will be able to adjust the idle speed at the screw. But, is there a bad leak somewhere that would make the engine die by removing the oil fill cap? Thanks for any input.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Gladiator

Location: Near Annaolis Md . along the Severn River in the woods.
Garage
First - why do you sell all the cool cars - I drive mine beyond death then put them in the yard for parts and get the succeeding model.

Second - whats a four wheel drive doing in Dixy, they are heavy and e30's suck in the snow anyway.

Third - once you get the valve cover gasket and new rubber plugs for the cam ends check all the other rubber. Theres a rubber hose fitting on the very bottom of the intake - above the starter. Mine fell off after 30 years and was hard to find. .

Jack stands and full under the car and put your arm way up into the motor. Mine was bad on the end so I cut off an inch and mashed it back on. Idle smooth at 650 rpm.

Check other rubber by pushing and pulling on it with the motor running -

Check all clamps - loosen and re set if rubber is weak.

Oily cars run better. The local BMW guru told me a long time ago. Spray with silicone, WD, Blaster, whatever . It dries and if you like a clean ares hit it with brake cleaner spray and paper towell.. I spray everything - backof headlights all fittings fuses,

Corrosion kills BMW's.

TG
Old 12-03-2017, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911buff View Post
I was reading on another forum to take the oil cap off to see if the idle speed changes. Well, when I remove the oil cap, the engine immediately dies. Is this a leak at the plenum? Or do I have other issues? I have fixed several leaks, so far. And it idles better but is still rough at start up then smooths out as it warms up. Then the idle is at around 1100 rpm. I have to replace the idle adjustment screw, it has no head. So, I will be able to adjust the idle speed at the screw. But, is there a bad leak somewhere that would make the engine die by removing the oil fill cap? Thanks for any input.
A few things:

I have a 1991 325IX - Excellent in the winter - excellent in mud. I can post several youtube videos of this little monster plowing through rough terrain - Excellent buy!

Next - There is no TRUE idle screw on an M20 - Granted the screw you are referring to is called the "Throttle adjusting screw" BUT it is NOT used to adjust idle speed. Its only function is to provide a mechanical stop for the linkage to prevent damage to the throttle plate and housing. Only adjust if you think it has been tampered with. To check - rotate the screw counter clockwise until there is clearance between its tip and the throttle lever. There should be no clearance between the throttle plate and the inside of the housing. Rotate the screw clockwise until the plate in no longer contacting the housing. Bentley states should be a .0015 in gap.

Next - Pulling the oil cap when it is idling WILL cause a poor idle (it creates a HUGE vacuum leak), that is why there is a gasket in the cap. However - it should not be enough to die.. This suggests you have more than one vacuum leak ( Idle should be around 950 Rpms) Make sure you have NO vacuum leaks - so check all your hoses, especially the boot (even your dipstick tube and the tube that runs from the intake down to the block). Also - make sure the ICV valve is clean and functioning.

Let us know what you find.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: