View Single Post

Well that was a damn site harder than I ever imagined.
That upper frame is unbelievably strong.

One of the problems I had was no hard wood to mask the hits with the lump hammer. As you said 962, soft wood really doesnít do it. I think part of the problem was the softwood was absorbing some of the impact.

It was also splintering and disintegrating pretty quickly.

I went from gentle taps to all out swings. I think I need to go again with a bigger hammer and hardwood.

Just out of interest, what length do you usually use? Where on the side of the car are you applying the impacts? Again, I just canít belive how strong that front is!

I ended up getting a huge blister on my hand from all of the hammer work, but it still only yielded marginally.

I also then had the fenders on and off, more often than the refrigerator light in a frat house.
This is where I ended up (well I did one more on and off after this and managed another minor improvement).

This is before I grind anything off the fender.

The very bottom of the fender seems to have a slight twist in it. I think itís going to be heating and then man handing it into shape. Something that would have been easier on a metal panel.

Iím going to buy myself a stout piece of wood this week, and get back at it on the weekend.

A friend with a Targa will be back in a couple of weeks, and I think his car will be invaluable for checking out the factory heights and gaps. For instance, Iím not sure if the fenders edge height at the hood should be the same height or lower than the hood...

All these little details you take for granted!
Old 07-29-2018, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)