View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerMiker View Post
So I got a set of Machinearts and thought that the plastic they were made of seemed... off.
They are hard and feel similar to that type of hard plastic ABS or old Bakelite. I don't
know a term for that type of plastic but I went with it.

Today I was klutz backing my bike out of the garage. I lost my balance and
dropped it. You know, trying to hold it up awkwardly saying, "NO NO NO NO!!" *KLUNK*.
It was a slow drop but it came to rest on one engine cover. The cover literally cracked
and shattered. I mean shattered in that there were a few decent sized pieces that were
completely sheared off.

They really are brittle and just have no give to absorb an impact. If they break this bad
in a minor drop I doubt their effectiveness. I don't recommend them.

I'm going back to the OEM style.

Here's my three cents. A slide will likely cause less damage to the valve covers than a straight fall over of the motorcycle. When the motorcycle falls over the protector recieves an impact all at once and is more likley to fracture or break. In a slide the impact is not as great and the damage is different to the protector. Your photos show this. But keep in mind you have the protectors to do just that, protect the valve covers and associated engine components. So, I think about any valve cover protector is just fine. I dropped a bike once and the protector broke but what it was protecting was fine; in a slide it'll get severly abraded but still will do what it was designed for.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)