View Single Post
Valve Adjust Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnine11 View Post
The flat six design can let oil seep into the bottom end during long term storage.
Probably some in the exhaust system now too.
It should eventually clean out for the most part.

Keep us updated and congrats on getting it running again!
Thanks. I was a bit worried by the excessive smoke and did a bit of research and learned all about the dangers of overfilling with oil. I suspect that happened when I pulled the dipstick and it was dry, so it became a nightmare for me. The engine has to run to check the oil, but if no oil shows on the dipstick, how can I be sure that the engine has any oil at all before I start it for the first time? Not wanting to test fire on a dry engine, I added just enough to show on the stick and I think that was too much as I did find some oil in the intake. Lessons learned.

My next task is to check the valves which I understand is an ordeal, like most work on an air-cooled 911.To that end I made a tool for making it a bit easier. This tool is based upon other designs I have seen in this forum and elsewhere with an exact 36 degree angle of screwdriver rotation which will provide (hopefully) the exact 0.004" valve clearance. The knob allows quick adjustment and locking once one of the pointers aligns with a reference point on the engine. You do this with zero valve clearance and then rotate the screwdriver with pointer locked from the reference point until the other pointer lines up with the reference point and this will provide the exact correct clearance (in theory).
It sounds simple, but I am sure it will not be quite that simple and I will verify the clearance with a dial indicator until I get comfortable with the results.

Here are a couple of pictures.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)