View Single Post
10 914's and counting

Garage
WEDGED

OK, here is another Update - On a hunch, we dropped the starter and then the ENGINE TURNED UNDER MANUAL POWER>>>>>YEA!!!!

Took out all of the plugs, checked each cylinder with a scope (I have a great deal of marginal Chinese made tools) and though I could see very little - I could not see any valves or other bad things in each of the cylinders.

Hooked up power and ran the starter - the engine rotated like a swiss watch.....no damage detected yet.

Re-installed the plugs and ran the starter. There was a large Clank again and then after 30 years in storage the engine started!!! Then it stopped.

I cranked the engine again and it CLANKED again and then I could not run the starter. I also could not manually rotate the engine.

Soooooo, we dropped the starter and the engine could then be rotated manually.

Seems that the starter is WEDGING itself against the flywheel. Not sure why.

Buying a new starter today will report if the starter was the fix or perhaps there is a Flywheel problem.

BTW - we inspected the teeth on the flywheel and they are all there, sharp and new looking.

Has anyone ever experienced this type of starter trouble?
Old 08-13-2018, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)