View Single Post
Brando

Garage
I've had mine converted since 2012 but started with a turbo engine so less of a conversion more a swap I guess however I did use the original 915 from the 76 build year car. It was a 8/31 r/p trans not the shorter one but soon as I raised boost to .8bar I started to see issues with the clutch (225 sachs sport) It did hold for a year though. Bought a centerforce which used a steel pressure plate which changed the rev nature enough I didn't quite like it as much but it held......enough to break a second gear set in the then almost 40yo transmission. I bought another trans and continued for a few more months maybe a year trying to baby it more but having a hard time with self control.....Broke another second gearset. I bought a lightly used 930 trans and tried to make it fit..couldn't make it fit (just one inch point one!) so I bought a short 930 and stock clutch set and it went together very well. Enjoyed the way I could hammer it with reckless abandon....well actually the stock clutch limited that a lot because it just couldn't hold over about 375-400hp.
Well something went wrong with my 930/51 so I traded it for a built carrera engine (3.3 cylinders and je 8.1/1 pistons sc cams ets..) with carrera manifold and new efi system and gt3582 turbo. With this new setup the stock clutch could not hold more than .5bar boost so I have removed the engine with only about 300 miles on a fresh build and 15quarts of liguid gold (mobile one vtwin) to again replace the clutch system and swap in favor of light weight 934/5 clutch and an aluminum flywheel. Should be back together tonight
During this time frame the car has gone through so much change that many friends or acquaintances think Iv'e had four cars. It went widebody and changed color.

I admit that I would not have had to make many of these changes if I would have not become addicted to boost..it's a sickness and I have it. If I had been able to control my urges and stay away from the pipe the original setup would more than likely help up much longer.
These cars and their 915 gearboxes are a kick to c\drive even with only .4-.5 bar!
If you can keep them down with .3bar efi or .5 bar cis then you'd more than likely get lots more life between clutch or trans issues.
Id do it all again too, Maybe a little differently I guess knowing what i know now but end result, I love.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)