Thread: Fs: 2001 r1100s
View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa145V6 View Post
It’s far too nice to part out. I would like to have a project like this but I’m on the wrong side of the pond.
Sorry to go off thread, but if Jim sees this, why did you say this? “If you repair the transmission it will happen again in another 46K miles.“
Does that mean that the new replacement output shaft is still of poor quality?
I assumed that if/when mine goes I would replace the shaft and clutch (with the modified disc) and everything would be fine from then on. Why aren’t the replacement shafts made from better material as BMW must be aware of the failed ones.
If the answer is something to do with being ‘off centre’ then I will be truly stumped as I couldn’t follow that discussion years ago and it boiled my brain!
There is some debate about the underlying cause of the problem, but a majority of people think it's due to a misalignment of the transmission. In many cases, mine included, the owner has spent thousands of dollars repairing a transmission only to have the same thing happen again at the next mileage period. So simply replacing the input shaft and clutch disk will not work in many (most?) cases.

There have been some success stories. There was a guy who measured the misalignment and created some offset dowels to replace the alignment dowels. that seemed to work for him. Other people have used a clutch disk with a longer hub. That seems to be working for a few people, but the original misalignment is still there. IMO your safest bet is to find a used transmission with good input splines. The fact that it's used and the splines are good means (hopefully) that the transmission was built correctly and there is no misalignment. Even so, I'd spend the money to get a disk with the longer hub.
'07 CBR600RR
Old 08-14-2018, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)