View Single Post

Mechanic Woes on 944 Turbo

Sorry for the sob story, but I am at my wits end.

In the fall of 2016 I thought I stumbled upon a rare gem: a local Minneapolis MN repair shop that specialized in fixing German cars. I have a 1986 944 Turbo that my brother was supposed to do a remove and replace 944 turbo engine swap … that was in 2008 so this story started out bad.

Back to 2016. I chatted with the owner of a repair shop about the German heritage visible in the work area, discussed my woes with my 8 year project my brother had failed at, and inquired if that was something he felt comfortable taking on. He expressed confidence in being able to do the job. He also knew it was something I have done myself before, and that I have a reasonable idea of the work.

For full disclosure, this has a Lindsey turbo kit on it, but by no means is not a Frankenstein kit. I am now approaching fall of 2018 with the same, “I am putting my best guy on it for the next two weeks” update I have heard before.

This experience, along with reading about the near impossibility of getting any reputable shop to work on almost any old Porsche to complete work within a reasonable timeline outside of Singer prices has me now doing my own work on my bucket list 1977 911. Don’t get me wrong. I love working on these old Porsche’s, I just thought an engine swap should be a 4-6 month process. I have done it before. I lead technology for multiple software companies, I would be fired for this kind of performance.

I have looked online, most responses to these problems call out how screwed you are, or say you should just go get the car and find someone else to complete the work. Unfortunately finding someone reputable who works on these cars is a crap shoot.

Sorry for the rant, just want a running car.

Thanks for listening,
Marty
Old 08-20-2018, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)