View Single Post

Garage
Met Ed in St. Clair and headed south to Potosi. Bikes were running superb, so we shot over to EminenceÖ and then just kept going. Ended up putting another 460 miles on the bike Saturday, so Iíve now got 743 test miles on her. I can definitely feel the AF-Xied learning/adapting the more miles I put on it. Initially it seemed to start a bit stronger, and throttle response was improved, but not too noticeable otherwise. After the first tank, the 4k-5k range was still flat as hell and generally she wasnít pulling quite as strong. But by the 400 mile mark, she seemed to really start to wake up, and run noticeably stronger, especially 4k+. Braking power with the Spieglers and DP pads is absolutely a night and day difference, the Brembo pads just donít have a good initial bite and require much more lever pressure to quickly scrub speed. While I still love the sound and weight savings of the Z-Tech Ti system Iíve got on the í03, Iím very happy with the sound the de-catted Laser system makes on the í05. It does still have the dB Killers installed, and I have yet to decide if I am going to be pulling them or not. I just donít like the idea of drilling holes through the tailpipes, and sheís already got a pretty good bark. If anyone has removed the dB Killers and doesnít mind sharing their opinion positive or negative, Iíd appreciate the feedback.

With how well the bike is running/handling, plus the excitement of finally having her back together, Iíve decided I am going to take the Ď05 to Colorado next week. While it would probably be the smarter choice to take the trusted í03 on the trip, it just needs too much work for how little time I have to prep for the trip. When I pulled the Ohlins out to measure and compare shock lengths, I noticed the front shock is leaking oil, and the rear has too light of a spring for my weight/riding style. So the Ohlins will be getting a new rear spring, front shock lengthened 10mm, and a rebuild this winter. Iím currently in the process of moving the system case mounts, MRA screen, and Throttlemeister over to the í05 in preparation for the 12 day trip. Long term plan is to set the í03 up for longer touring rides, and the í05 as a more local Ozark weapon.
2003 R1100S BCR #73
1998 R1200C
1968 R60/2
1966 R50/2
Old 08-21-2018, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)