View Single Post
10 914's and counting

Garage
End of the starter tale

END OF THE TALE

OK, here is the cause of the clanking.

My 17 year old son is the mechanic on this project. He was the one that took out and replaced the starter each time. After I wrote about this problem, I went to the garage and saw that there was a spring washer on the long Bolt that bolts into the engine compartment. I saw that the washer was on the Flywheel side of the starter......hhhmmmmmm

I called my son on the phone (out with friends) and asked him if he installed the washer between the starter and the car? He said YES. I asked him why. He said: ' because that is where it was when we took off the starter the first time'. I cannot blame him since we have uncovered a great deal of weird in this car,

SOOOOooooo, the washer introduced about 1 radian of cant into the position of the starter and the way it hits the gear. I believe that this was enough to put a great deal of resistance on the interface between the starter pinion and the big Flywheel gear.

Installed the starter without the washer and the starter was faster and absolutely NO CLUNKS

THANK YOU DAVE for the words of encouragement and pointers!

CTC
Old 08-24-2018, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)