View Single Post

I have had all 3 on my 87. The factory power steering is nice. When it works. But it leaks. And makes a mess of everything.

Eventually my PS pump went bad. I resealed it 3 times and all 3 times it went bad within a week. Maybe that was my inability to reseal the pump or maybe it was just a bad pump but I got sick of it and cut the belt. Steering with a cut belt isn't bad except in a parking lot but even then it isn't terrible. More of an inconvenience than anything. But it was not ideal. Not technically a 'depowered' rack but still unassisted.

Then I got a manual rack from a junkyard 83 for $20. Took it all apart, filled it up with fresh grease, put on inner tie rods from a VW Fox and outter tie rods from a 70's BMW to get it to work with late offset and now I have steering that is sporty enough to feel like a sports car but not hard enough to be inconvenienced when parking my car. It is what should have been on the car all along. And I drive my car daily.

So yes, if you are considering depowering the rack, go manual if you can. Depowered just isn't a good representation of what a true manual rack will give you.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)