View Single Post
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
All bearings are not equal but you also don't have many choices. For mains, not including the #8 nose bearing supporting the crank snout, you've got aftermarket Glyco or original Porsche. For rods you've got Clevite/AA, Glyco or original Porsche.

The quality issue with the Glycos is real. They aren't as good as they used to be. The failure issue with the Glycos was isolated to the 3.2/3.3/3.6 and I believe more specifically it was those manufactured in South Africa. So your best bet is to spend the extra $ and get the original Porsche bearings.

I shared some pictures of Glycos vs. original Porsche and you can see the evidence of measuring the bearings on the original Porsche bearings. But, even the original Porsche bearings can concern some people because the finish coating is sometimes blotchy. Actually I don't think that appearance should be a concern because that coating is for corrosion protection to protect the surface until they're installed. My limited experience has been that the coating is so thin I couldn't even detect its absence with a .0001" resolution dial indicator.

Rod Bearing Controversy

The most important thing here is you MUST measure to be sure you've got acceptable clearance. Measure the main and rod crank journals with a 0.0001" resolution micrometer. Measure the engine case dry-assembled with the bearings installed (must install #8 nose bearing to align that end of the case) using a bore gauge with a 0.0001" resolution dial indicator.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)