View Single Post
Never left, but not right

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990C4S View Post
Ties are passe. I am not even allowed to wear one where I work.
I don't think that's legal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig T View Post
A tie? Nobody wears a tie anymore in business. I kept two ties from the old days specifically for weddings and funerals.

Before retiring last year, my last five years of professional life was dealing with NYC venture capital, private equity, and big Corp M&A exec's. NONE of them wore ties. Suits are rare period. The standard now is nice slacks, expensive cotton shirt, and heavily tailored jacket.

Since retiring, my standard restaurant attire is flip flops, cargo shorts, and a tee shirt. If it's a nice restaurant, I'll wear a golf shirt with a collar left untucked....I might even make an effort to match my flip flops to my golf shirt...but that's gotta be a really nice restaurant.
That's too bad as one of the reasons I go to a nice restaurant is to leave the Taco Bell crowd at the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
I actually like the no tie look; provided it's accompanied by a sharp jacket/sport coat, nice shirt, pants, belt, and shoes. And it all needs to fit properly!!! That's what I notice; poorly fitting clothes that are out dated.
Agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
Obviously there are occasions when, yes, it should be a suite WITH a tie!
Even at funerals and weddings I see very casual dress. Since I'm an old fart, I wear a black suit with a subtle tie although I avoid these occasions. As such, my suit is out of date now. I might be better off dressing down a bit with some nice duds. I'm sure a black jacket and dark gray pants would be acceptable.

An observation: until my wife's retirement we usual attended the annual holiday party put on by our port, one of the largest in the US. You could easily spot the higher ups and politicians. Lower management always seemed to dress the part. And it seems the ladies always have a nice cocktail dress on, including my wife, no matter how the husband presents himself. That alone was a good reason to suit up.

So which comes first, the chicken or the egg? If you're aspiring, shouldn't you join the ranks of those above you in dress?
Old 09-11-2018, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)