View Single Post

My thought on crossing the centerline. There is a fine line to when and where you apex the whole road. I personally don't want to kill any civilians ever, but it isn't unusual for that to be done. I personally only fault the truly dangerous, and reckless ones. At least if you do it, late apex please-- so you have a wider field of view entering, and can pick up the headlights coming, and dive back to the inside or outside sooner, depending on the direction you were going!!!!!

Mulholland was always hairy, as no one ever closed the road. At our local hang out (Turnbull Canyon), we actually would close the road, and everyone had walkie talkies. Since half the time, we couldn't get good reception, if we squawked the send button a whole bunch of times, then it meant to abort the run. If it was the Police, then we would wait about 5 seconds from the last static burst or attempt at comms and squawk the send again, or keep squawking for everyone to scatter. Usually if the Cops came in on us, we would all scrabble out the end, hopefully where they weren't coming. I only remember one joint attempt by Whittier PD and Los Angeles County Sheriffs to combine for a bust. We also on occasion had bottle rockets in the hands of our sentries. They would pop one from about 3/4- to a mile away meaning the police, and the crowd at the start or finish lines would all start squawking as we dove for the car doors to bail.

The first time I ever went to visit Mulholland, I attempted to be friendly to the locals, and get local knowledge, but they weren't too friendly (you guys weren't friendly )!!!. It seemed like not too many were actually keen on racing, at least with strangers. Obviously undercover cop paranoia syndrome too, existed! Sure they (you guys) loved to buzz the road, and would chase down and buzz the occasional car. I personally think the kids dominated the evenings, and they didn't mix it up too much, with the adults to often. Seemed more tribal, club against club (local bragging rights and ritual) and not real welcoming of outsiders like our group over visiting.

Each time I made the trip, it never seemed like I got the action, I had hoped for. But sure, some damn cool rides were up there.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 09-12-2018 at 01:29 PM..
Old 09-11-2018, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6971 (permalink)