View Single Post

Minor overheat issue

Hi All

I have got the car back on the road but it's got an overheat problem. The symptoms are:

1. It takes a good 10 minutes for the temp gauge to start moving
2. It slowly creeps to vertical after about 20 minutes
3. After about another 15 minutes it will be nudging the red on the gauge if I drive at a around 3,5000 - 4,000 rpm for prolonged periods. I don't want to push any further
4. If I slow to about 3,000 rpm it starts to very slowly creep back down to between the start of the red and vertical but won't go back to vertical

Whilst sorting the car I have had the following replaced:

1. Thermostat (correct one) from Awesome Powdercoat in the US
2. Cooling flaps stripped and serviced, mechanism refurbished and cable replaced
3. New push rod seals
4. Carbs fully rebuilt (it has twin Weber 40 idf's) and set up correctly

Other things I did include (just in case they may have an impact??!)

1. Removed the heating system and pipes from the heat exchangers including the end pieces with diverter flaps controlled by the lever on the centre console
2. Removed the bursch exhaust and replaced with megaphones from Dansk

I'm really confused so if anyone can help I'd be really grateful. The engine is a 1.8 that was converted a while ago to 2.0 (and rebuilt twice now including new heads).

Please please please help. It's stopping me going more than about 30 miles on a run which kind of defeats the object of having the car..... Thanks.

Ben
Old 09-11-2018, 11:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)