View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Douglas View Post
Talk to a cop and get him to accompany you to the place. This way it's free. Elaborate by explaining it may get violent and you want a cop present to break up the fight.

Around here it's called "Theft by retention" and I'm sure you guys have the same. The cop will tell them to release the car to you, and they have to dispute you to get the money. Don't pay them.

I don't think it works exactly like that in Illinois. I know a few guys who own "high volume" body shops in Illinois. Usually the cops will only go as far a keeping the peace. If you don't act right, you will be told to leave the business by the cop, and may be told that you will be charged with trespassing if you return.

On the other end, the car can be retrieved by "force". Sometimes the car owner will be charged with theft of services. I'm pretty sure this body shop has cameras, so that makes the case easier for them. If a person goes this route, go right to the car and leave with it. Don't go thru the office, go thru the gate, block the gate with a car or truck. Bring a jump pack, keys, and gas. Having a car trailer blocking the gate works well, drive the car on it. Park the car at a friends place until the court case starts. This route is very common. The shop can't file for a title lien without the car. 13k on the line, they want the car or the cash.

Friends of mine have had to retrieve cars this way from scumbag body and chassis shops. They have all the power when they have the car. Once the car is on a trailer, and no longer in their possession, the playing field has been evened out. If the cops show up, they cannot legally take the car off the trailer, only impound it. Now the cops are responsible for the "possession" of the car. The right lawyer will have the car released to the rightful owner in 24 hours. Fight it out in court, while your property is in your possession.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)