View Single Post
Even a Bad day is good

Garage
tank done

As you can see the tank turned out very nice.
this is not for everyone but here is what i did
5 years ago i removed it from the car, the tank was empty and had sat since 1994.
the outside was decent and the inside was not too bad.
Toclean off the outside I used a cup wire wheel on an angle grinder and made quick work of the coating that was on the exterior. It is easier than you think.

I cleaned the inside (which was not too rusty with apple cider vinegar), That works but takes a week or so. I neutralized it with water and baking soda. After that i had it painted using upol gravitex that a friend color matched some samples i saved by mixing some blue into the gray/white bottles and had it sprayed.
The tank came out great and i put it on the shelf. I did not realize it would take about 5 years to reinstall it so when i looked into the tank (5 years later) it it was coated with surface rust. Probably caused by not getting all of the water out.

since the paint was nice and the tank was sound I decided to just get the rust out.
first i tried nuts and metal on an engine stand and twirled it around. Very ineffective and not worth the trouble.
Chemicals and i dont get along and I researched tank cleaner/sealers. All aaid that they were the solution but the negativfe reviews about them peeling turned me off.

I called radiator places 2 of them would do it but they cut open the tank, clean it out, reweld it then seal it with some substance.
then i tried electrolysis
after i switched to carbon rods it took perhaps 2 days (i let it run another day) and the rust was gone. I used a solution of marine clean and hot water and cleaned out the graphiite that was in the tank. I coated it with a mix of atf and marvel and it to me is like new.
As an aside I would have bought the Porsche tank if could not get it clean. After the paint job etc what is another 1500 dollars.

Last edited by 47silver; 09-18-2018 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 09-18-2018, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)