View Single Post
Sacrificial Oil

I am hoping for some advice.

Here is the situation. The car has been in storage for 15 years so of course it needs an oil change. I drained the oil from the tank and the engine, but because I was not able to run the engine until the thermostat opened, this means old oil remains in the lines up to the radiator and in the radiator itself.

I have repaired the engine so it should now run properly. So I can refill with oil, run until hot and then do another oil change. As I understand it, that should now drain most of the oil out of the radiator.

An oil change with the proper oil (don't worry, I am not starting an oil debate here) will be expensive and seems like a waste for just a few minutes of run time. So would it be ok to refill with a cheaper oil and once that is drained out along with the radiator oil, then I would put the expensive stuff in?

Or is there another solution? Can the rad and hoses be drained separately? What would you do if you were in my situation?
Old 09-22-2018, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)