View Single Post

So some more stuff...
I had recently fixed the rear hatch power locking system (posted in another thread).
The issue I still had was that the hatch would unlock but not open on its own. I recall that being the case when it used to work back in the psychedelic 80's..
So here is a quick fix that worked for me.
The problem was that on one of my latches the pan head would catch on the a side and hence the hatch would not release and would have to be pulled up.
The dilemma was that yes I can adjust the latch to center the pan head, but which way to move it...move it the wrong way and and the hatch won't open even with a key. The only way to open it then was to crawl in through the back seat into the hatch and loosen the latch (2 M6 nuts ) and then it could be pulled open. (At my size this is not an option I would like to pursue often
So the solution occurred to me while the dentist was adjusting my new crown (on tooth not head).
He would put a blue dye on it and made me bite down, then examine where the crown was impacting my other teeth and be able to tell where to adjust.
So I put a piece of paper tape on the pan head. See pic

Sorry about the clarity stupid phone camera..
Then I used a spring loaded clamp to keep the latch unlocked all the time. See pic

Now I just closed and opened the hatch manually, kind of like chomping down in your mouth. The tape showed which side the pan head was catching the latch. See pic

Thus knowing which way to adjust I just loosened the 2 M6 nuts moved the latch that way and tightened it. See pic

No further twiddling needed worked like a charm. Push button in the car, presto hatch opens
Sox
Old 10-08-2018, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)