Thread: rear end lift
View Single Post

Using the engine to lift the rear end has been a long-term POV favored by many pro repair techs, racers and owners. As a contrary point of view, I and others have disagreed, hopefully without sounding too evangelistic.

Here's an interesting update.

At the most recent 2018 Rennsport, Porsche Motor Sports (PMS) displayed a new product, a new 962 flat six crankcase casting. Seems there are still enough of these vehicles to provide replacement parts to keep them alive and well (notice the factory has recently recognized the thousands of vintage Porsches still in service with air cooled dealer service and parts? That's wise, long-term owner relations). The new low-pressure casting had some unspecified improvements in material and oil flow (I also assume structural improvements).

So I popped the question to the tech (GS):
"What's your opinion about lifting the rear of a 911 or under this 962 case with a floor jack on the center case seam, with or w/o a hockey puck, block of wood, telephone book, shop rag, etc.?"

His answer. He wouldn't advise it. The block wasn't designed for those forces (and I bet never considered by their engineers).

BTW, here's a basic comparison between a 962 and a 911 case. Not really that different.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/308447-comparison-of-gt2-3-turbo-engine-to-the-962-engine.html

There you have it, FWIW. So have at it.

Sherwood
Old 10-18-2018, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)