View Single Post
Registered

how many here have a whole house generator ?

We have passed one year in the retirement home and life is good except for the occasional power outage . Being in the mountains it doesn't take too much for trees to come down and snap power lines . In the past year it has happened 3 - 4 times that I remember with the longest power outage being overnight . I have a Honda 3000 inverter generator that is mainly for the camper but I did use it to power the fridge to keep food from spoiling . But when the power goes out in summer you sweat your nads off and in winter freeze your nads off .

So am thinking about installing a 20KW home generator with the goal of being able to run the fridge , the 3 ton AC/heat pump and well pump at the very least . Add a few lights and the electric water heater and now we can survive like humans until power is restored . I know Generac is a popular/well known brand don't know if that's good or bad . I know Kohler and I see Briggs and Stratton makes them now to . We have a 500 gallon LP tank so LP would be the preferred fuel choice . Currently the only items running on LP are the furnace ( back up to heat pump ) and range top .

Like anyone else I want the most bang for the buck , saying that the B&S air cooled generators have a better price point then say a water cooled diesel powered as an example . Based on our first year in the house a generator would put more run hours on itself doing weekly run tests vs. actual down time from power outage . So those of you that have generators what do you have and how do you like them ? What would you change if you could ?
Old 10-21-2018, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)