View Single Post
Midwest R Gruppe

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtEgerer View Post
I retired at 59 about a year ago, so it's still pretty fresh. I can see now how retirement can cause killer stress for those who don't prepare their mind properly. It's all about contentment. We did it a lot differently from most by selling all our crap and living the gypsy life in a luxury 5th wheel. So every day is a bit of an adventure - but rarely stressful. We're now traversing life with a very, very light load, living comfortably and debt-free on <10% of what we used to. The only way to make the plan work is to lose the desire to own 'things' (i.e., big houses, cool cars, expensive watches/jewelry, pole barns to put more crap in, etc., etc.) and lose the notion that you need to maintain your current lifestyle until you die. If you're getting your retirement advise from a financial adviser, you're doing it wrong! Like they say, less is more. Way more.
Cool to see you check in here Curt and give a brief synopsis of how things are going. Glad it is going well for you and K. My biggest challenge is giving up "stuff" - cool cars, aircraft, etc.

I "retired" at 52 from the corporate world and reinvented myself to do something I absolutely love and now fly for the airlines. I used to stress about work and managing up and down the chain from the moment I got up until shortly before bed. Weekends too... I decided to kiss the EBITDA cowboys goodbye and try out getting paid doing something I love.

OK so it is not official retirement, but I call it my retirement job, with a wink, wink. I used to be more wound up and in a less than chipper mood doing the corporate thing. I am now way more relaxed and my family says they have never seen me more happy in general. Sure it is "work" and getting back from a trip is always met with a profound sense of joy, but I look forward to every single time I go to the airport and get in the cockpit. I would probably fly every leg if given the choice. Plus health insurance is great and that is important to us. And I have way more time "off" than in corporate life. Plus, when you shut the Master Switch off, you are DONE for the day. Just hope the health stays good...

69E Coupe 2.2S LtWt
70 914-6 GT
Old 11-06-2018, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)