Thread: SC Top Speed
View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Higgins View Post
We reach a higher top speed on the front straight and through turn one at Pacific raceways than we do down the front strait at The Ridge in Shelton. The entrance to the straight at The Ridge is much slower, and the straight is shorter than at Pacific. In a relatively stock SC you probably won't even need to get it into fifth gear on the straight at The Ridge, so it's not a great place to verify top speed. At Pacific, in a relatively stock SC, you will probably grab fifth somewhere around the kink on the front straight, carry it around turn one, and get on the brakes for turn two before redlining fifth. My son's '79 with stock cams, Euro pistons, SSI's, and a single out Dansk sport will go somewhere around 125 through there before getting on the brakes for two. So, not quite top speed. Not quite long enough at either track.
Agree Pacific is not a long enough straight to hit top speed in a 911. My 3.2 used to hit 125 at the braking zone, well shy of top speed. That same 3.2 saw an indicated 140 somewhere in Wyoming a couple years later, but it took a good long while, even with my daughter nailed to the back bumper driving our much faster 944S2. I ran out of nerve before the car ran out of go.

It was a perfect call.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)