View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny042 View Post
I'll have to get back to you on that. Still experimenting. But I certainly hope so!
Impressed with the clear so far. I'm letting it cure for a little longer before I torture test it, but so far so good. I have a spare fuchs I've been playing with trying to get the finish I want and I think I am getting there. The anodizing is stripped, the petals sanded to remove imperfections, bead blasted with 80/120 (very fine). I hastily polished the rim for this test. I didn't follow the application instructions exactly since they call for washing with blue dawn and I don't have water at the shop - I cleaned multiple times with wax and grease remover.

Wet:

Dry (the right petal/rim)

The clear is the closest thing I can think of to anodizing that you'd be able to apply yourself. It's very thin, and has very low surface tension. I poured tiny amount on the concrete floor and it soaked right in. I sprayed (and measured once dry) a test piece with two pretty heavy passes and ended up with a dry film thickness around .0007-.0008. I purposely sprayed the wheel with a similarly heavy application so that's a bit thicker than the instructions call for at .00025-.00050.

I think this is really going to work well on the blasted wheel finish as it doesn't really impart much change on the appearance of the surface finish. I'm hoping to preserve the metallic sheen of the blasted metal, but at the same time provide some protection against corrosion and scratching and smudging and fingerprints. I'm going to try a second test today with a thinner application to see how it is different.

This is definitely a "go" for the rear trailing arms, font hubs and crossmember. Sort of a barely there layer of protection without making look overly processed and plastic dipped. Hope to get those sprayed this weekend. I'm thinking of it for the fan too. I switched out to a finer glass bead and liking the look "as blasted":

The problem with having such a modest amount of shop space is you need to keep on top of things...... the shell is wrapped up while I make dust and overspray.

Last edited by Jonny042; 11-24-2018 at 06:06 AM..
Old 11-24-2018, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #383 (permalink)