View Single Post
I would rather be driving

The amount of work to paint a car is tremendous. If you ever try to do this yourself you will certainly appreciate the cost when you write a check to a paint shop. Unfortunately my bank account can not support that right now so I have to move forward with my best garage paint job. Hours of priming, sanding, and more sanding. Eventually you say, this is good and start taping off the car and getting ready for final primer/sealer and color.

The car was taped off to the inside seams. The paint line is at the seam intersection and mostly invisible.

After taping off the blocked off car I had to spray the final primer/sealer. This is epoxy primer that is thinned using a little reducer. I am following the TDS (Technical Data Sheet) of the manufacturer. Once you hit this point you are on the clock. There are time limits to how long you have to leave the epoxy cure, and maximum time before the co-cure chemical bond doesn't happen. Thankfully I have a VERY UNDERSTANDING WIFE that knew ahead of time the timeline I was on. Kinda like a work project on a vacation week.

And then, there was primer/sealer...

Since the car was sealed, I was on the clock. I got up early this morning for final wet sand, wash down, wipe down and dry. What else is there but to shoot color.

And so... Bring on the Tangerine. My best garage/backyard paint job. The new paint gun works quite well. I am using the Eastwood Concours gun shooting 1.5 tip. The PPG paint lays down much smoother than the primer. And here are the results. Yes, despite a few defects and bugs I am happy. Major milestone almost 4 years to the day.

(edit - fix picture link)
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts

Last edited by jpnovak; 11-24-2018 at 06:39 PM..
Old 11-24-2018, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #343 (permalink)