View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny042 View Post
Not being that experienced a machinist, it never really occurred to my how problematic it is to make a tapered hole!! I am certainly finding out.

I asked several places local to me if they could do this job and I was met with a lot of blank stares. I left a stack with a CNC place (seemed to me a natural way to go about it) so they could give me a quote but after not hearing anything for a few months I went and retrieved it. Basically they told me it wasn't possible.....

Well that's not the right answer!!

I've been thinking about this for a long time so it's nice to be actually making some progress. Yesterday I made the holding fixture for the plastic stacks. This afternoon I will hopefully have a stack step-bored down it's length then reamed to a taper. Will report back!
I'm not a machinist either, but have some experience in micro machining. A manual taper requires a taper boring head. The cutting tool is angled and thus created the taper. The workpiece is rotated, not the tool. I'm sure there are other solutions.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #399 (permalink)