View Single Post
I'm with Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by URY914 View Post
We'll talking two different reasons here:

Expansion joints cause jarring bumps. These move and get miss-aliened between each section of concrete road.
Camber in precast beams on bridges cause hoopie-dos where you spill your beer. There is one section of bridge here that I travel. JTB to PVB. All the loaacal know about it.
This, really noticeable in a light car with heavy springs.

The absolute worst incident for me, I was coming back from the Dragon years ago. I was heading east on I-26 somewhere east of Asheville early on a Sunday morning when I encountered a concrete section of road that had shifted or something. It launched me into the air at 80 MPH, I never saw it until I hit it. It was a sickening feeling after the landing, the car did not like that at all.

The impact was so violent it actually knocked my car out of alignment, was steering left to go straight after that and the wheel was pulling.

I pulled off the highway to inspect the car and nothing seemed amiss.

I drove it home and took it in for an alignment, my rear tow was all out of wack. Causing my thrust alignment to be way out, hence turning left.

I initially thought OP was talking about the rumble strips on the edge of the roadway, I think that is a brilliant idea. Wish it was in place in the early 2000's when I was making lots of overnight drives from Florida to NC. I used to stop at rest areas and do jumping jacks on those trips.
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Black Betty
2014 BMW i3 Giga World
Old 01-15-2019, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)