View Single Post

Garage
My comments were directed at the loads tperrazo described in his video, showing only horizontal loads at the shock towers. My belief is that the very nature of the shock towers (to stabilize the shocks) are loaded both vertically and horizontally. The shocks definitely see a vertical load component to bumps as the strut compresses and extends. The shocks are not vertical - they are cambered so there is also a horizontal component loading as well. Ideally, a bulkhead across the trunk would make that area torsionally very rigid. However, the impracticalities of this in a trunk negates this - no golf clubs! I am also not arguing that a strut and diagonal are necessary (unless you regularly track or race) - let's not forget, Porsche has the best engineers and they analyze the structure for loads that these cars experience and design accordingly. I would think that only in hard cornering while tracking and racing would any real benefits be felt. But I would agree that adding a strut/brace and diagonal braces would enhance torsional rigidity keeping the geometry of the struts and wheels as the designers intended.
Gone but not forgotten: 1969 Datsun 2000, 1973 914 1.7, 1976 912E
Old 01-22-2019, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)