View Single Post
Caveman Hammer Mechanic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tperazzo View Post
Yes most of the load is directed to the heavy cross member due its proximity to the front axle. However, since there is a large tire mounted to the spindle the friction force from the road tries to fold the tire under the car. The only thing that prevents this is the shock tower attachment.

As far as the up and down loads go, the strut tower is very strong in this direction because the metal is in tension instead of bending as with the lateral forces.

Thanks for sharing that experience with your windshield! Wow, that's pretty crazy. Did your X brace have heim joints on it to tension the tub?

Thanks
Tom
This is the unit I have installed. D-Zug brace install
Prior efforts were modified Weltmeister units. I have 2 sets of Weltmeister brackets that were torn apart while using rubber bushings. There is plenty of force being transferred while driving. I guess my point was/is there many forces present and moving them from one point will just transfer the forces to the next weakest point in the load path. Everything from the front suspension to the rear, is in the load path, and I would imagine anything outside those points could be contributing to stiffness via boxing/triangulation.
"America is all about speed. Hot,nasty, bad ass speed."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

Last edited by ClickClickBoom; 01-26-2019 at 10:33 AM..
Old 01-26-2019, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)